Understanding Heat Transfer in a Ice-Water System

In summary, the problem involves an 18g ice cube at -4.0ºC being placed into 75g of water at 10 ºC in an insulated container. The final temperature of the system and the amount of ice that melts needs to be determined. The relevant equations are Q=MCΔT, C ice =2.09j/g°c, Cwater = 4.186j/g°c, M=Mass in g, T = temp in Degrees C, and Q=ML where Lice =334j/g. The solution involves raising the temperature of the ice to 0ºC, removing the resulting energy from the water, and then considering a phase change in the ice. The
KylieB

Homework Statement

An 18g ice cube at -4.0ºC is placed into 75g of water at 10 ºC in an
insulated container.
a. What is the final temperature of the system?
b. How much of the ice melts?

I have a sheet full of these & ice to water to steam I really need somone to explain how to find the results so I can get my brain around these

Homework Equations

Q=MCΔT
C ice =2.09j/g°c
Cwater = 4.186j/g°c
M=Mass in g
T = temp in Degrees C

Q=ML
M=Mass in g
Lice =334j/g

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what i think is right so far
Raise the temp of ice to 0
18 x 2.09 x 4 = 150 joules
Remove this energy from the water
150.48=75 x 4.186 x(10-Tf)is this part right?
150.48= 3139.5-313.95(Tf)
I am not sure how to get to the resultant temp of the water propery before I consider a phase change in the ice but I have a feeling there won't be enough heat energy in the water to melt all of the ice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So here's what i think is right so far
Raise the temp of ice to 0
18 x 2.09 x 4 = 150 joules
Remove this energy from the water
150.48=75 x 4.186 x(10-Tf)is this part right?
150.48= 3139.5-313.95(Tf)
I am not sure how to get to the resultant temp of the water propery before I consider a phase change in the ice but I have a feeling there won't be enough heat energy in the water to melt all of the ice

or to remove the energy is it simply 150.48 = 75 x 4.186 x Tf
150.48 = 315.95 (T?)
T? = 150.48/313.95
T? = 0.483degrees C
then remove this from the initial temp of water
10 - 0.483 = 9.517 Deg C is this right so far?

1. What is the purpose of mixing ice and water?

The purpose of mixing ice and water is to lower the temperature of the water and make it colder. This is useful for cooling drinks or preserving food, among other applications.

2. How does mixing ice and water affect the properties of the water?

Mixing ice and water causes the water to become colder and its density to increase. This is because as the ice melts, it absorbs heat from the water and lowers the overall temperature.

3. Can mixing ice and water create a state of equilibrium?

Yes, mixing ice and water can create a state of equilibrium where the temperature and density of the mixture are the same throughout. This usually occurs when all the ice has melted and the water has reached its freezing point.

4. What happens if you add salt to the mixture of ice and water?

Adding salt to the mixture of ice and water can lower the freezing point of the water. This is useful for creating a colder and slushier mixture, such as in making homemade ice cream.

5. Why does ice float in water?

Ice floats in water because it is less dense than liquid water. This is due to the unique molecular structure of ice, which causes it to expand and become less dense as it freezes.