Find an expression for the electric potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the electric potential at a distance z from the center of a rod on the line that bisects the rod. The answer is expected to include k, Q, L, z, and appropriate constants. The suggested answer of (kQL)/z is questioned due to incorrect units. The use of Coulomb's Law for a continuous charge distribution is advised to find the correct solution.
unger36

Homework Statement

Find an expression for the electric potential a distance z away from the center of rod on the line that bisects the rod.

Express your answer in term of k, Q, L, z and appropriate constants.

Here is the picture.

29_P69.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it should be (kQL)/z. I just can't figure out why that isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unger, welcome to PF!:smile:

unger36 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking it should be (kQL)/z. I just can't figure out why that isn't correct.

Why do you think it is kQL/z?...That doesn't even have the correct units for potential!:wink:

Instead of blindly guessing at the answer, you should try to actually calculate it!:smile:

Hint: Use Coulomb's Law for a continuous charge distribution.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. In other words, it is a measure of the electric force on a unit charge at that point.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a given point. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over a distance.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does electric potential differ from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged object has due to its position in an electric field.

5. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are related by the equation: V = -∫E•dl, where V is electric potential, E is electric field, and dl is a small displacement along the path of integration. In other words, electric potential is the negative of the line integral of the electric field along a given path.