Find the electric field of a point outside sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Coderhk
Messages
59
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Find the electric field of a point outside sphere without using Gauss's law. (Do not evaluate the integral)

Homework Equations


Coulomb's Law
Spherical Co-ordinate System

The Attempt at a Solution


I have attached my attempt as a picture but now I am stuck, I don't know how I can express the distance (h )from the point to the differential element in terms of the other variables. From symmetry I know the y component of the electric field will cancel out
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20190123_000424.jpg
    IMG_20190123_000424.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Mission impossible without a complete problem statement: what kind of sphere ? Imaginary, solid, conducting, grounded ?
 
BvU said:
Mission impossible without a complete problem statement: what kind of sphere ? Imaginary, solid, conducting, grounded ?
I believe the question is talking about a shpherical shell like a gaussian enclosed sphere. I figured out that I need to express h in terms of the cos law. Thanks.
 
Conducting ? In which case the method of images might help ...