1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a car has p litres of petrol in the tank it can travel a kilometres. With v litres of petrol in the tank it can travel b kilometres. Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a.

2. The attempt at a solution

I just cross-multiplied how I was shown in class, and get v = (p * b) divided by a

So my question is first is this answer correct, and if so, how to demonstrate in perhaps a few steps how I get to it. As I do not understand logically why this is the answer (if it is)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's how I'd look at it:

With p litres it can travel a kilometres. So, with p/a litres it can travel 1 kilometre. Does that make sense?

Can you now do the next bit?

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is correct. What part in the derivation are you unsure about? The first question to ask would be: How much fuel is spent per kilometer travelled?

5. Oct 18, 2014 #4
    Ahhh, so with v litres it can travel b kilometres. So, with v/b litres it can travel 1 kilometre.

So, if 1 litre = 1 litre

then, v/b = p/a

So v = (p/a) * b

6. Oct 18, 2014 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, although I'd actually look at it slightly differently:

It takes p/a litres to go 1 kilometre.

So, to go b kilometres it takes b*(p/a) litres. So, v = b*(p/a).

With all such problems it's often a good idea to think how much to go 1 kilometre. Or, how far can you go on 1 litre.

You could, in fact, do the problem again thinking "how far can you travel on 1 litre".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted