Derive an expression for the price of a pen in terms of p

In summary, the conversation is about two types of pens, expensive and cheap, with a ratio of 3:7 in prices. The total cost for 30 of the cheaper pens and 10 of the expensive pens is $1568. The task is to derive an expression for the cost of one expensive pen (e) in terms of one cheap pen (p). The correct answer is (7/3)p = e, which makes the equation 30p + 10e = $1568 true. The key concept needed is understanding ratios, where the price of cheap pens is represented as 3 units and the price of expensive pens as 7 units, making the expression (7/3)p = e easy to derive.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hello there are two types of pens expensive and cheap.
The ratio of the prices of the two is 3:7
The total cost for 30 of the cheaper pens and 10 of the expensive pens is $1568.

I am asked to derive an expression for the cost of ONE of the expensive pens which i will represent as (e) in terms of one of the cheap pens as (p)

Homework Equations

30p+10e =$1568

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what i originally thought,

30p +`10e =1568
SO : 10e= 1568-30p
e= (1568-30p)/10

But I think this is terribly wrong as they asked for the price of one of the expensive pens in (p)...

And their answer (my textbook) is 7/3p.

So I'm thoroughly confused. What key concept am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
So I'm thoroughly confused. What key concept am I missing?
Most likely the key concept that textbooks sometimes get it wrong.

You can attempt to express the price of expensive in terms of price of cheap pens

You know the ratio 3:7, hence p/e = 3/7

From there, you should be able to get your answer. I'm guessing there's another part of this question that asks you to solve for the individual prices p and e.

Likes Richie Smash
Yes alloy mouse, there is and I've already solved it using their answer (7/3)p =e
And indeed it makes the equation 30p+10e =$1568 true.

My problem is deriving it, ratios are tricky yes, I'm not sure how to get my answer, I think I lack a fundamental understanding about ratios.

Richie Smash said:
Yes alloy mouse, there is and I've already solved it using their answer (7/3)p =e
And indeed it makes the equation 30p+10e =$1568 true.

My problem is deriving it, ratios are tricky yes, I'm not sure how to get my answer, I think I lack a fundamental understanding about ratios.
Ah I see, so it's the problem with ratios.Here's a trick:

If price of cheap pen is 3 units,
Price of expensive pens is 7 units

If you treat ratios like "this has x units while the other has y units", that would make things easier to see and easier to derive your "(7/3)p = e"

Likes Richie Smash
SO let me see if I have this now, let's say the ratio was 5:10, the price of a cheap pen would be (5/10)e and the price of an expensive pen would be (10/5)p.
DO I have this concept correct now?

Richie Smash said:
SO let me see if I have this now, let's say the ratio was 5:10, the price of a cheap pen would be (5/10)e and the price of an expensive pen would be (10/5)p.
DO I have this concept correct now?

Yes, you are right!

Likes Richie Smash

1. How is the price of a pen expressed in terms of p?

The price of a pen can be expressed as p, where p represents the cost of the pen in terms of a unit of currency.

2. What factors are involved in deriving an expression for the price of a pen in terms of p?

The expression for the price of a pen in terms of p takes into account the production costs, marketing expenses, and profit margin of the pen manufacturer.

3. Can the expression for the price of a pen in terms of p vary?

Yes, the expression for the price of a pen in terms of p can vary depending on the pen's brand, quality, and the market demand for the pen.

4. How is the expression for the price of a pen in terms of p used in business?

The expression for the price of a pen in terms of p is used by businesses to determine the selling price of the pen, calculate profit margins, and make pricing decisions.

5. Is the expression for the price of a pen in terms of p the same globally?

No, the expression for the price of a pen in terms of p can differ between countries due to factors such as currency exchange rates and varying production costs.