Find Area of flattened gold with limited info.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kaleb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Gold
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Kaleb
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold with a mass of 1.708 g, is pressed into a leaf of 6.811 μm thickness, what is the area (in m2) of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.100 μm, what is the length (in m) of the fiber?


Homework Equations


D = M/V
V = LxWxH(thickness)

The Attempt at a Solution


So I have been working on this for quite a while now. Here is my attempt:

I first solved D=M/V for V: V=M/D

Then I plugged 1.708g/19.32g/cm^3 to find my volume of .088cm^3

Then using Volume = L x W x H(thickness) I plugged in for volume and height and solved the equation.

When I converted micrometers to centimeters my result was 6.811e-3cm.

So (.088cm^3)/.006811cm = L x W (Area).

After I found the area in cm^2 which the above result yields, I converted to meters^2 and got an answer of 1.29e-3m^2.

It says it is wrong, where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your conversion for the thickness is wrong.
1 um is 10^-3mm so 10^-4cm
 
Alright thanks. That made all the difference, problem solved.