Find Aut(Z n ) for cases n = 2,3,4, and 5

  • Thread starter Thread starter zcdfhn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zcdfhn
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Find Aut(Zn) for cases n = 2,3,4, and 5

My question is to find Aut(Zn) for cases n = 2,3,4, and 5

First, I am a little confused about the case Aut(Z), the integers. I know that the only functions that satisfy Aut(Z) are f(x) = x, and f(x) = -x, but what is wrong with f(x) = x+1?

It would be great if you explain to me how to find automorphic functions, and why the previous example works and doesn't work.

My attempts at Aut(Z2): I think that f(x) = kx and f(x) = x+k, k [tex]\in[/tex] Z are the only functions that apply in this case.

The rest, I believe, are similar, but I just need help before I commit to an answer.

Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


zcdfhn said:
My question is to find Aut(Zn) for cases n = 2,3,4, and 5

First, I am a little confused about the case Aut(Z), the integers. I know that the only functions that satisfy Aut(Z) are f(x) = x, and f(x) = -x, but what is wrong with f(x) = x+1?

It would be great if you explain to me how to find automorphic functions, and why the previous example works and doesn't work.

My attempts at Aut(Z2): I think that f(x) = kx and f(x) = x+k, k [tex]\in[/tex] Z are the only functions that apply in this case.

The rest, I believe, are similar, but I just need help before I commit to an answer.

Thank you for your time.

[tex]f \in Aut (Z)[/tex] implies [tex]f:Z \rightarrow Z[/tex] and [tex]f^{-1}:Z \rightarrow Z[/tex] should be injective. Thus, both the kernels of [tex]f, f^{-1}[/tex] should be identity. That implies the identity is mapped to an identity in Z.

Generally speaking, the set of automorphisms forms a group and the order of [tex]Aut(Z_n)[/tex] is [tex]\phi(n)[/tex] (Euler totient function).
Once you find an automorphism, you need to make sure that the order of each element is same with [tex]x \in Z_n[/tex] and [tex]f(x) \in Z_n[/tex], where f is an automorphism of [tex]Z_n[/tex].