1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with classification of the set of automorphisms on Z/n

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    Let G be a group and Aut G the set of all automorphisms of G. What is Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] for arbitrary n[itex]\in[/itex]N?

Sol

Let f[itex]\in[/itex]Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. Since Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]=<1>, f can be completely characterized by f(1), i.e., f(k) = f(1)[itex]^{m}[/itex], for k[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] and m[itex]\in[/itex]N. By these facts, it follows that f(1) must generate Z[itex]_{n}[/itex], that is, Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]=<f(1)>.

Define H as the group of all generators of Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] under multiplication. Then f(1)[itex]\in[/itex]H.

Now at this point I'm certain that Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\cong[/itex]H, but I just can't find a homomorphism from Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]H. I can't concoct an epimorphism in the opposite direction either. The closest I got is the below:

Also define the map c:Aut Z[itex]_{n}\rightarrow[/itex]H by c(f) = f(1). Choose f,g[itex]\in[/itex]Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. Then:
    c(g[itex]\circ[/itex]f) = g[itex]\circ[/itex]f(1) = g(f(1)) = g(1)[itex]^{l}[/itex]. But any l'[itex]\equiv[/itex]l (mod n) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]g(f(1)) = g(1)[itex]^{l'}[/itex], so we can consider l' an equivalence class in Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. That implies l = f(1)[itex]^{p}[/itex] for some p[itex]\in[/itex]N, so that c(g[itex]\circ[/itex]f) = f(1)[itex]^{p}[/itex]*g(1) = c(g)c(f)[itex]^{p}[/itex].

I can't see what I'm overlooking, so I'd appreciate if someone can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Well, H is just Z/nZ isn't it? Find an isomorphism from Aut(Z_n) to Z/nZ. You know that if if is in Aut(Z_n) then it is uniquely determined by what it does to 1. For example, f(1) = a*1 for some a in Z. Now try to use this to construct an isomorphism from Aut(Z_n) to Z/nZ.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Not quite. H[itex]\subset[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex], but not a subgroup since Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] is additive and H is multiplicative. In particular, H is always a proper subset since 0[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] but 0[itex]\notin[/itex]H. So I have to find an isomorphism from Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] directly to H.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook