Help with classification of the set of automorphisms on Z/n

In summary, we are trying to find the set of all automorphisms of a group G, denoted as Aut G, and specifically for the group Z_{n}. We know that an automorphism can be completely characterized by its action on 1, and that this must be a generator of Z_{n}. We also define the group H as the set of all generators of Z_{n}. We are looking for an isomorphism from Aut Z_{n} to H, and have constructed a map c that almost works but still needs some refinement. We are seeking help to find this isomorphism.
TopCat
Let G be a group and Aut G the set of all automorphisms of G. What is Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] for arbitrary n[itex]\in[/itex]N?

Sol

Let f[itex]\in[/itex]Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. Since Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]=<1>, f can be completely characterized by f(1), i.e., f(k) = f(1)[itex]^{m}[/itex], for k[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] and m[itex]\in[/itex]N. By these facts, it follows that f(1) must generate Z[itex]_{n}[/itex], that is, Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]=<f(1)>.

Define H as the group of all generators of Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] under multiplication. Then f(1)[itex]\in[/itex]H.

Now at this point I'm certain that Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\cong[/itex]H, but I just can't find a homomorphism from Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]H. I can't concoct an epimorphism in the opposite direction either. The closest I got is the below:

Also define the map c:Aut Z[itex]_{n}\rightarrow[/itex]H by c(f) = f(1). Choose f,g[itex]\in[/itex]Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. Then:
c(g[itex]\circ[/itex]f) = g[itex]\circ[/itex]f(1) = g(f(1)) = g(1)[itex]^{l}[/itex]. But any l'[itex]\equiv[/itex]l (mod n) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]g(f(1)) = g(1)[itex]^{l'}[/itex], so we can consider l' an equivalence class in Z[itex]_{n}[/itex]. That implies l = f(1)[itex]^{p}[/itex] for some p[itex]\in[/itex]N, so that c(g[itex]\circ[/itex]f) = f(1)[itex]^{p}[/itex]*g(1) = c(g)c(f)[itex]^{p}[/itex].

I can't see what I'm overlooking, so I'd appreciate if someone can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, H is just Z/nZ isn't it? Find an isomorphism from Aut(Z_n) to Z/nZ. You know that if if is in Aut(Z_n) then it is uniquely determined by what it does to 1. For example, f(1) = a*1 for some a in Z. Now try to use this to construct an isomorphism from Aut(Z_n) to Z/nZ.

Not quite. H[itex]\subset[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex], but not a subgroup since Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] is additive and H is multiplicative. In particular, H is always a proper subset since 0[itex]\in[/itex]Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] but 0[itex]\notin[/itex]H. So I have to find an isomorphism from Aut Z[itex]_{n}[/itex] directly to H.

1. What is the definition of automorphisms on Z/n?

Automorphisms on Z/n refer to the set of bijective functions on the integers modulo n that preserve the structure and operations of the group. In other words, these functions map each element of Z/n to another element in a way that maintains the group's properties under addition and multiplication.

2. How many automorphisms are there on Z/n?

The number of automorphisms on Z/n is equal to the number of elements in the group that have an inverse. This is given by the Euler totient function, φ(n), which counts the number of positive integers less than n that are relatively prime to n. Therefore, the number of automorphisms on Z/n is φ(n).

3. Can you give an example of an automorphism on Z/n?

One example of an automorphism on Z/n is the function f(x) = ax mod n, where a is an integer relatively prime to n. This function maps each element of Z/n to another element by multiplying it by a and then taking the remainder when divided by n. This function is bijective and preserves the group's properties under addition and multiplication.

4. How do automorphisms on Z/n relate to the concept of isomorphism?

An automorphism is a special case of an isomorphism. While automorphisms preserve the group's structure and operations, isomorphisms also preserve the group's underlying algebraic structure. In other words, an automorphism is a bijective homomorphism, while an isomorphism is a bijective function that preserves the group's properties and operations.

5. Can automorphisms on Z/n be used to classify the elements of the group?

Yes, automorphisms can be used to classify the elements of the group into different orbits. Two elements of Z/n are in the same orbit if they can be mapped onto each other by an automorphism. These orbits can then be used to partition the group into smaller subgroups, allowing for a more organized classification of the elements.