Find Bandwidth Efficiency (R/B) given SNR and Eb/N0

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of bandwidth efficiency (R/B) of PSK for a bit error rate of 10^-7 on a channel with an S/N of 12 dB. The formula used is Eb/N0 = S/N * B/R, and the answer is 1.2. The conversation also touches on converting dB to dBW and the accuracy of the calculation.
lycaeus
Thank you in advance for your help!What is the bandwidth efficiency (R/B) of PSK for a bit error rate of 10^-7 on a channel with
an S/N of 12 dB?[/b]
From the graph, for BER= 10^-7, Eb/N0 = 11.2 dB./b]I have applied the formulae Eb/N0 = S/N * B/R
Where, S/N is Signal power over noise power * Bandwidth / Bit Rate

I know for one that I need to convert dB to dBW by applying 10log(dB)

However, I have tried for 5 hours and could not get the answer

The answer to this question is 1.2

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me. Are you making an arithmetical error? Why do you think dBW enters?
You have
R/B (dB) = SNR(dB) - (Eb/No)(dB)
in dB, it is simple to convert to a power ratio.

1. What is the formula for finding bandwidth efficiency?

The formula for finding bandwidth efficiency is R/B = 1 - (log2(M)/log2(N)), where R is the data rate, B is the bandwidth, M is the number of bits per symbol, and N is the number of signal levels.

2. How do SNR and Eb/N0 affect bandwidth efficiency?

SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) and Eb/N0 (energy per bit to noise power spectral density ratio) both have a direct impact on bandwidth efficiency. As SNR increases, bandwidth efficiency also increases, while as Eb/N0 increases, bandwidth efficiency decreases.

3. Can bandwidth efficiency be greater than 1?

No, bandwidth efficiency cannot be greater than 1. It is a measure of how efficiently the available bandwidth is being used, so a value greater than 1 would mean that more data is being transmitted than the bandwidth allows.

4. How can I improve the bandwidth efficiency of a communication system?

To improve bandwidth efficiency, you can either increase the data rate or decrease the bandwidth. This can be achieved through techniques such as using higher-order modulation schemes, improving the coding and error correction techniques, and optimizing the signal processing algorithms.

5. What are some common applications of bandwidth efficiency?

Bandwidth efficiency is an important factor in many communication systems, including wireless networks, satellite communications, and digital television broadcasting. It is also a key consideration in the design of data transmission systems used in the internet, video streaming, and other digital services.