Find closest fraction to another fraction

• Thread starter KarlRixon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the problem is to find the fraction closest to \frac{1}{2} out of \frac{3}{5}, \frac{7}{10}, and \frac{11}{20}. The solution is to compare each fraction by dividing it by 1/2 or by putting them all over the same common denominator.
KarlRixon
I'm trying to teach myself maths and I'm stuck at this problem:

Homework Statement

Which of the following fractions is nearest to [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]?

You must show your working.

[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex] [tex]\frac{7}{10}[/tex] [tex]\frac{11}{20}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is [tex]\frac{11}{20}[/tex], because it just is! What I don't know how to do is "show my working". I've tried searching for "find closest fraction to another fraction" but I can't seem to find the proper technique for calculating this. Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I guess you can show by dividing each fraction!
e.g., 3/5 =0.6 and compare the each fraction's result with 1/2=0.5

Last edited:
That makes sense! Thanks.

Alternatively put them all over the same common denominator.

What is the purpose of finding the closest fraction to another fraction?

The purpose of finding the closest fraction to another fraction is to simplify and approximate a fraction to a more manageable or familiar form. This can be useful in various mathematical calculations or when comparing and ordering fractions.

How do you determine the closest fraction to another fraction?

The closest fraction to another fraction can be determined by finding the common denominator between the two fractions and then comparing the resulting equivalent fractions. The fraction with the smaller difference between the numerator and denominator will be the closest fraction.

Can any fraction be simplified to the closest fraction?

No, not all fractions can be simplified to the closest fraction. Fractions with non-terminating repeating decimals, such as 1/3 or 5/6, cannot be simplified to the closest fraction. In these cases, the closest fraction may be an approximation.

Is there a specific method for finding the closest fraction to another fraction?

Yes, there are multiple methods for finding the closest fraction to another fraction. Some common methods include finding the common denominator, using the continued fraction algorithm, or using the Euclidean algorithm.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to finding the closest fraction to another fraction?

One limitation of finding the closest fraction to another fraction is that it may result in an approximation rather than an exact value. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for fractions with large denominators or fractions that are already in simplified form.