1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find closest points between lines

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two lines :
    a,u,b,v are vectors.

[tex]A=\left\{a+s*u|s \in R \right\} B = \left\{b+t * v|t \in R \right\}[/tex]

The two lines does not touch each other (does not meet)
    I need to find the closest point between the lines.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know several ways, But all of them are giving me unbelivable long functions..
    There must be a short way.
    One options it to build a vector between two random points in the lines and then the scalar multipltion of them need to give me 0 .
    a,u,b,v are vectors.
    [tex](b+t*v-a-s) \bullet v = 0[/tex]
    [tex](b+t*v-a-s) \bullet u = 0[/tex]
    But as I said I tried to solved it and it got to be very very very long and I always made errors...

Second way it to find [tex]u \times v [/tex] this is a vector that is vertical to both lines so if I need to fins the solution of :
    [tex]b+t*v+q(u \times v) = a+s*u [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Let me rewrite your last equation a bit.

[tex]q(\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v}) = (\textbf{a}+s\textbf{u})-(\textbf{b}+t\textbf{v})[/tex]

The RHS corresponds to the vector beginning on a point on B and ending on a point on A. Now try taking the dot product of both sides with [itex]\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v}[/itex]. What geometrically does that correspond to?

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Thank you for your respond.
    English is not my first language and
    Sadly I am not sure I understand what you mean in "try taking the dot product of both sides with [itex]\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v}[/itex]"
    Do you mean that I need to build three equation :
    First we know that [itex]\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v} = (u_{2}v_{3}-v_{2}u_{3} ,-u_{1}v_{3}+v_{1}u_{3} , u_{2}v_{1}-v_{2}u_{1} )[/itex]
    After we found the vector we can build 3 equations .. Is this is what you meant I need to do>?, [itex] q(u_{2}v_{3}-v_{2}u_{3}) = a_{1}+s*u_{1}-b_{1}-t*v_{1}[/itex]<-- Something like this? this is the first equation
    Because I did it and it didnt really gave me anything

5. May 27, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that's not what I meant. "Dot product" is another way of saying "scalar product," so I was saying you should do this:

[tex]q(\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v})\cdot(\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v}) = [(\textbf{a}+s\textbf{u})-(\textbf{b}+t\textbf{v})]\cdot(\textbf{u} \times \textbf{v})[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook