Find Coefficient of Performance of a refrigerator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
grandpa2390
Messages
473
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement


I need to find the coefficient of a refrigerator that uses a monatomic gas and only has two steps.
I know the:
initial pressure of the refrigerant
initial temperature
initial volume
and final pressure

Every formula I know requires 4 steps or a knowledge of the outside and inside temperature. This question is unlike anything I have seen to date. The only other problem I have seen like this was for a real refrigerator. it had four steps, and I was given a table for the saturate refrigerant.

Homework Equations


##COP = \frac{Q_C}{W}##
##COP = \frac{Q_C}{Q_H-Q_C}##
##COP = \frac{T_C}{T_H-T_C}##

The Attempt at a Solution



Right now, the only thing I can think of is that I could use the equation ##COP = \frac{Q_C}{W}## by finding Q and W of the process the way I did in earlier chapters. And assume that the change in Q is Q_C .
With this attempt, I could take advantage of the formulas that give me these values based on whether or not the gas is monatomic.

Is this the right direction?

edit: I did the problem this way and got a COP of 1...
I assuming that the change in internal energy is 0. the first process is isothermal, and the second process is linear bringing it back to the same initial point. I get that Q=-W so Q/W is 1
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit: I see. I think I see my current mistake. It isn't Q of the entire process. Just the Q_in. So I got a number for the coefficient and I'm onto the next part. I need to compare it into the result I would get from the carnot cycle at the same temperature difference. What I don't get is what the temperature difference is.
All I am given is the temperature of the gas and that the first step is isothermal.
 
Last edited: