1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Coefficient of Restitution with just height of the ball after one bounce

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is dropped from a height of 9.02 m. After hitting the ground, the ball then rebounds to a height of 1.78 m. What is the coefficient of restitution associated with the ball and ground impact?

2. Relevant equations
    e=(V'-v')/(V-v)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought maybe this was a trick question and you just do 9.02-1.78=7.24 and that was the answer but I am wrong... I need a bit of guidance on how to proceed with this question.

EDIT:
    I just realized I should be using e=v'/v instead since there is only one ball... And I think I have realized that v' is -9.81? Not completely sure though because I also think that that might only be acceleration... CONFUSED lol
    I thought that maybe I could use acceleration to find velocity, but I don't have the time....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's the acceleration. What SUVAT equation do you know that relates acceleration, distance and speeds?

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    vf2=vi2+2ad perhaps?
    Thanks for the reply, I always seem to forget about the SUVAT equations...

vf2=vi2+2ad
    vf2-vi2=2(9.81)(9.02)

I used 9.02m and not 1.78m because it travelled down 9.02m when gravity was acting on it and I don't know what it's acceleration upwards is. Hopefully this is correct!

vf2-vi2=2(9.81)(9.02)
    vf2-vi2=176.9724
    vf-vi=13.30
    Δv=13.30m/s

Is the above something I can do? So now I have the change in velocity of the ball...
    But only on the way down correct? or is this all together?

5. Feb 17, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have found the landing speed, yes. A few doubtful steps along the way, though.
    You should be careful with signs. If up is positive, the acceleration is -9.81m/s2, and the distance is -9.02m. That way you get a positive Δ(v2).
    Secondly, you cannot go straight from vf2-vi2 to vf-vi by square rooting. You need to plug in the value for vi (0) first.

Now you need to find the rebound speed by the same method.

6. Feb 17, 2016 #5
    How do I get the acceleration for the rebound speed though? Since it's travelling upwards it's not gravity right? And I don't have enough information to solve for acceleration with Δv/Δt.

7. Feb 17, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

why not? Does gravity stop acting on a body just because it is moving upwards?

8. Feb 17, 2016 #7
    No, I guess gravity is causing it to slow down as it approaches its peak height! Okay I understand that part now, thanks!

I solved for the rebound speed and got 5.91m/s.

e=v'/v
    e=5.91/13.30
    e=0.44 which comes up as correct!

This turned out to be pretty simple, thanks for helping me understand how to go about it haruspex! :)

9. Feb 17, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done.

By the way, if you work it symbolically instead of plugging in numbers you will find the relationship between e and the height ratio. You don't actually need to calculate the velocities.

10. Dec 15, 2017 at 2:15 PM #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How about you try what I suggested, solving the problem but entirely symbolically, i.e. not plugging in any numerical values.

11. Dec 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There was no sarcasm, none at all. It was a serious suggestion for what would be far more useful to you than my merely providing an equation.
    Indeed, that is how these forums work - we provide hints, corrections, advice, but require the student to show effort. You had effectively asked me to violate forum rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted