How do you find the coefficient of restitution with only d?

In summary: Yes, except that you have some accumulated errors there which make your answer a bit off.This happens when you keep rounding intermediate numerical results.You will get a... "prettier" answer if you use the exact numerical values and only round the final result.e = (vf2 - final bounce velocity) / ((vi1 - initial bounce velocity) = -4 / -4.8 = 5/6 =
brinstar

Homework Statement

If a rubber ball is dropped from the height of 120 cm from the floor, and rebounds to a height of 80 cm, what is the value of e, the coefficient of restitution? Show your reasoning and justify your solution.

initial distance 1= 120 cm
final distance 1= 0 cm
initial distance 2 = 0 cm
final distance 2 = 80 cm
acceleration = gravity = -9.8 m/s^2
initial velocity 1 = 0 m/s
final velocity 2 = 0 m/s

Homework Equations

Not very sure... I honestly don't know how to find the numerical answer here.

e = (vf1/vi1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't come up with a number solution. I do have a justification, though. e will be less than 1 for sure because energy was lost during the rebound. You can tell energy was lost because the ball did not bounce back to original height. It's inelastic and not elastic, so e will not be equal to 1, and the energy is not fully conserved.

Now determining the value of e is where I'm stuck, unless that's impossible.

Thank you for any and all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the acceleration and distance for both the fall and the rebound. You know the initial velocity of the one and the final velocity of the other. What two other velocities can you calculate?

haruspex said:
You know the acceleration and distance for both the fall and the rebound. You know the initial velocity of the one and the final velocity of the other. What two other velocities can you calculate?

Oh! I think I just got a method!

Fall:
vf = sqrt(2(-9.8)(-1.20) = about 4.8 m/s

Rebound:

0 = (vi)^2 + 2(-9.8)(.80)
vi = sqrt(2(9.8)(.80)) = about 4.0 m/s

e = (Vf2 - vf1) / (vi2 - vi1) = (0 - 4.8) / (4.0 - 0) = -1.2

Although, I'm not sure if this is right. I checked it over and I don't really see anything wrong with it... I swear I remember that e is not allowed to leave the boundaries of 0 and 1.

brinstar said:
e = (Vf2 - vf1) / (vi2 - vi1) = (0 - 4.8) / (4.0 - 0) = -1.2
Two mistakes there.
In the definition of e there is a sign reversal: (Vf2 - vf1) / (vi1 - vi2).
Secondly, the "vf" you found was the velocity at the end of the fall, but the end of the fall is the initial state for the bounce.

haruspex said:
Two mistakes there.
In the definition of e there is a sign reversal: (Vf2 - vf1) / (vi1 - vi2).
Secondly, the "vf" you found was the velocity at the end of the fall, but the end of the fall is the initial state for the bounce.

Oh... I completely forgot about the negative sign >.< My bad.

So would vf1 be equal to vi2? But then wouldn't that be elastic instead of inelastic?

brinstar said:
So would vf1 be equal to vi2? But then wouldn't that be elastic instead of inelastic?
There are three phases in all: the initial descent, the bounce, the final ascent.
Your original vf was the vf of the first phase, while your vi was the vi of the third phase.
How do these relate to the initial and final velocities of the bounce phase?

haruspex said:
There are three phases in all: the initial descent, the bounce, the final ascent.
Your original vf was the vf of the first phase, while your vi was the vi of the third phase.
How do these relate to the initial and final velocities of the bounce phase?

I don't really know :/ my teacher is behind lessons in class, but he gives us lots of homework that is far in advance.

Does this have something to do with loss of kinetic energy?

brinstar said:
I don't really know :/ my teacher is behind lessons in class, but he gives us lots of homework that is far in advance.

Does this have something to do with loss of kinetic energy?
It isn't a matter of knowing, it's a matter of thinking.
The "initial velocity" of the bounce Is the velocity immediately before impact. How does that relate to the initial and final velocities of the falling phase? (Don't overthink it, it is a very simple answer.)

haruspex said:
It isn't a matter of knowing, it's a matter of thinking.
The "initial velocity" of the bounce Is the velocity immediately before impact. How does that relate to the initial and final velocities of the falling phase? (Don't overthink it, it is a very simple answer.)

Hm... so the initial velocity of the bounce is the final velocity of the fall, and the final velocity of the bounce is the initial velocity of the ascent? So the initial velocity of the fall and the final velocity of the ascent are still equal?

brinstar said:
Hm... so the initial velocity of the bounce is the final velocity of the fall, and the final velocity of the bounce is the initial velocity of the ascent?
Yes.
brinstar said:
So the initial velocity of the fall and the final velocity of the ascent are still equal?
Yes, those are both zero.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Yes, those are both zero.

Took me an hour, but I think I got it!

The final velocity for fall is equal to the bounce's initial = 4.8 m/s
The initial velocity for ascent is equal to the bounce's final = 4.0 m/s

So really, the equation I did used the correct numbers, but everything was just misplaced!

e = (vf2 - final bounce velocity) / ((vi1 - initial bounce velocity) = -4.0 / -4.8 = approximately 0.83

Okay, so did I do it right now lol?

brinstar said:
Took me an hour, but I think I got it!

The final velocity for fall is equal to the bounce's initial = 4.8 m/s
The initial velocity for ascent is equal to the bounce's final = 4.0 m/s

So really, the equation I did used the correct numbers, but everything was just misplaced!

e = (vf2 - final bounce velocity) / ((vi1 - initial bounce velocity) = -4.0 / -4.8 = approximately 0.83

Okay, so did I do it right now lol?
Yes, except that you have some accumulated errors there which make your answer a bit off.
This happens when you keep rounding intermediate numerical results.
You will get a more accurate answer if you keep everything algebraic until the final step. (There are many other advantages to that technique, and I very strongly encourage students to adopt it.) You will find that the answer is the square root of the ratios of the heights, giving about 0.816.

haruspex said:
Yes, except that you have some accumulated errors there which make your answer a bit off.
This happens when you keep rounding intermediate numerical results.
You will get a more accurate answer if you keep everything algebraic until the final step. (There are many other advantages to that technique, and I very strongly encourage students to adopt it.) You will find that the answer is the square root of the ratios of the heights, giving about 0.816.

Ah okay! Thank you so much for the help! I really and truly appreciate it! Thanks a million! : )

1. How do you find the coefficient of restitution with only d?

To find the coefficient of restitution with only d, you can use the following formula: e = √(h/d), where e is the coefficient of restitution, h is the maximum height reached by the object after bouncing, and d is the initial drop height. This formula assumes that there are no significant energy losses due to factors such as friction or air resistance.

2. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It represents the ratio of the final velocity of the objects after the collision to their initial velocity. A value of 1 indicates a perfectly elastic collision, where there is no energy lost. A value of 0 indicates a completely inelastic collision, where all of the energy is lost.

3. Can the coefficient of restitution be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of restitution can be greater than 1. This indicates a collision where the objects bounce back with more energy than they had initially. This can happen in collisions between objects made of materials with high elasticity, such as rubber or steel.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the motion of objects?

The coefficient of restitution affects the motion of objects by determining the amount of energy that is conserved or lost during a collision. A higher coefficient of restitution results in a more elastic collision, where the objects bounce back with more energy and continue to move at a higher speed. A lower coefficient of restitution results in a more inelastic collision, where the objects lose more energy and their motion slows down.

5. Does the coefficient of restitution depend on the type of material the objects are made of?

Yes, the coefficient of restitution can vary depending on the type of material the objects are made of. Objects made of more elastic materials, such as rubber or steel, tend to have higher coefficients of restitution compared to objects made of less elastic materials, such as wood or clay. The coefficient of restitution also depends on other factors such as the shape and surface texture of the objects.