Find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta

In summary: So the summary would be:In summary, if sin \theta =\frac{4}{5}, the cosine could be \pm \frac{3}{5} and the tangent could be \pm \frac{4}{3}.
mathlearn
If sin \(\displaystyle \theta\) =\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{5}\) , find cos \(\displaystyle \theta\) and tan \(\displaystyle \theta\)

Can you help me to solve. :)

Many thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Find cos theta and tan theta using sin thetha

mathlearn said:
If sin \(\displaystyle \theta\) =\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{5}\) , find cos \(\displaystyle \theta\) and tan \(\displaystyle \theta\)

Can you help me to solve. :)

Many thanks :)

Hey mathlearn! ;)

The sine is the opposite side divided by the hypotenuse.
What would be the length of the adjacent side, knowing we have a right triangle?
And what would then be the cosine respectively the tangent?

Re: Find cos theta and tan theta using sin thetha

:)

mathlearn said:

sin \(\displaystyle \theta\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{opposite side}{hypotenuese}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore sin \) \(\displaystyle \theta\) =\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{5}\)

So applying Pythagoras theorem

Hypotenuse2 = opposite side 2 + adjacent side2

\(\displaystyle 5^{2}\) = \(\displaystyle 4^{2}\) + \(\displaystyle adjacent side^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 25\) = \(\displaystyle 16\) + \(\displaystyle adjacent side^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 25\) - \(\displaystyle 16\)= \(\displaystyle adjacent side^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 9\)= \(\displaystyle adjacent side^{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{9}\)= \(\displaystyle \sqrt{adjacent side^{2}}\)

\(\displaystyle 3\)= \(\displaystyle adjacent side\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore cos \theta\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{adjacent side}{hypotenuse }\)\(\displaystyle \therefore cos \theta\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{5}\)

and

\(\displaystyle \therefore tan \theta\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{opposite side}{adjacent side}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore tan \theta\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}\)

Correct I Guess?

Many Thanks :)

Yep. All correct. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. All correct. (Nod)

Actually, it's possible that the angle could be in the second quadrant, in which case the cosine and tangent values would be negative.

Without any information about which quadrant the angle lies, you would need to write both the positive and negative answers.

1. What is the relationship between sin, cos, and tan?

The three trigonometric functions, sin, cos, and tan, are related through the unit circle. Sin theta represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cos theta represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tan theta represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. How do I find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta?

To find cos theta, you can use the identity cos theta = sqrt(1 - sin^2 theta). To find tan theta, you can use the identity tan theta = sin theta / cos theta. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a trigonometric table to find the values.

3. Can I use any value for theta to find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta?

Yes, you can use any value for theta to find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta. However, the values of cos theta and tan theta will vary depending on the value of sin theta.

4. How do I use the unit circle to find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. To find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta, you can use the coordinates of the point where the terminal side of theta intersects the unit circle. The x-coordinate of this point represents cos theta, and the y-coordinate represents tan theta.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean identity to find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean identity, sin^2 theta + cos^2 theta = 1, to find cos theta and tan theta using sin theta. You can rearrange this identity to get cos theta = sqrt(1 - sin^2 theta) and tan theta = sin theta / cos theta. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a calculator or the unit circle.