1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find current when linear mass density and current is given.

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long straight wire is fixed horizontally and carries a current of 50 A. A second wire having linear mass density 1.0 * 10^{-4} is placed parallel to and directly above this wire at a separation of 5mm. What current should this second wire carry such that the magnetic repulsion can balance its weight?
    Equations relevant
    (B = μ0i)/2∏r
    F = B * I * L * sina
    My attempt
    I have first got the magnetic field of Wire1 by the formula (B = μ0i)/2∏r.
    Then i took out the Mg Field of Wire2 with the same formula taking current as I.Then i took the weight of Wire2 as Total Force and calculated---
    Ftotal=B * I * L + B1 * I1 * L1 (taking L as 1m and where B1,L1,I1 as values of Wire2
    But i dont get the right answer that is 0.49A.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2012 #2
    Hi arunashish. Welcome to PF.

How have you attempted the problem? What do you think would be the equations relevant here?

Please follow the homework-help template while posting questions in this section :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook