Find density on dropping a ball

In summary, to determine the mass of a ball, you use simple harmonic motion to calculate the period of vibration, and then use that information to calculate the mass.
fawk3s
I remember my friend telling me once about this task in his physics competition. I had forgotten about it and remembered last night taking a shower. Started thinking but couldn't figure it out. Maybe you can help?

So you are given a small plastic ball, a ruler and a timer. Find the density of the ball. (I don't know if its full plastic or filled with air).

Finding cubage is easy. But finding the mass?

First I thougth that maybe I could find the mass with Ek=m*v(scuared)/2 or Ep=mgh, but you don't have neither of the E's (at least I don't think it was given).
So how do you get it? (Hope its not too simple because then I would looks really stupid again).

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the method that is used to determine mass in orbit, in, say, the space station.

Attach the ball to one end of the ruler. Hold the other end firmly or clamp it to something and start the ball vibrating. The period of vibration will be proportional to the square root of the mass. Of course, you will need some known mass to compare to in order to be able to specify the mass of the ball.

HallsofIvy said:
The period of vibration will be proportional to the square root of the mass.

what equation is that? or is it?

Last edited:
yes the concept described appears to be simple harmonics when you talk about the period of an oscillation. hmmm, remind me if I'm wrong but mass is not in the period of an ocsillation in simple harmonics

T = 2(pi)(sq. root)(length/g)

Northern expo> You can replace the (length/g) with (mass/k) where k is the 'spring constant'

Ok, what equation is that? (Yes, srsly, I don't know).

What about rolling it down a measured incline, timing it, and using that to calculate the moment of inertia? The moment of inertia will tell you if it is a solid sphere or a shell.

Or, let the ball rise/sink in a tub of water: if terminal velocity is reached, you can calculate the mass of the ball using Stokes flow; that plus the volume gives the density.

I'm sure there's other ways...

1. What is the purpose of finding density on dropping a ball?

The purpose is to determine the mass and volume of the ball, which can then be used to calculate its density.

2. How do you find the density of a ball by dropping it?

First, measure the mass of the ball using a scale. Then, fill a graduated cylinder with water and record the initial volume. Drop the ball into the cylinder and record the new volume. Finally, use the formula density = mass/volume to calculate the density.

3. What is the relationship between density and the speed of a falling ball?

The density of an object does not affect its speed when falling. All objects, regardless of their density, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

4. How does the density of the ball affect its buoyancy when dropped in water?

The density of an object determines its buoyancy in water. If the density of the ball is greater than the density of water, it will sink. If the density of the ball is less than the density of water, it will float.

5. Can the density of a ball change when dropped at different heights?

No, the density of a ball will not change when dropped at different heights. The mass and volume of the ball will remain the same, and density is a constant property of a material. However, the air resistance and gravity may affect the speed at which the ball falls, but not its density.