Find depression in wire with hanging mass

In summary, This conversation is about finding the depression of the midpoint of a wire when a mass is hung from it. The wire is extended by (1/1000) of its unstretched length when a mass is hung from its bottom end. The wire is then connected between two points on the same horizontal level, and the mass is hung from the midpoint. The equation 2Tsin(theta) = mg is used to find the depression, and the approximation sin(theta) = y/(the stretched length of l/2) is suggested. Another method using Pythagoras is also mentioned. The final answer is L/20, but it is unclear how the (1/1000) factor is incorporated in the solution.
bodensee9
Hello: I have the following:

Homework Statement

A wire of unstretched length l is extended by a distance (1/1000)l when a mass M is hung from its bottom end. If this same wire is connected between points A and B that are at a distance l from each other on the same horizontal level, and the mass M is hung from the midpoint of the wire, find the depression y of the midpoint.

Homework Equations

2Tsin(theta) = mg
sin(theta) = y/(the stretched length of l/2).

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to go from there. Would it be safe to say that each half of the wire is stretched by l/2000? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bodensee9! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
bodensee9 said:
Would it be safe to say that each half of the wire is stretched by l/2000? Thanks.

How did you get that?

Use Pythagoras, and an approximation.

I need help with this problem too. 2Tsintheta=mg, and tantheta=2y/l, for small angles tan theta=sin theta, so if we could use that approximation then sin theta=2y/l,...I can also use Pythagoras to find the hypotenuse and then find the real sin theta and equate them to find y, I don't think that's a proper answer though...I'm not sure where the L/1000 comes in...

This isn't homework, I know the answer already is L/20, just don't know how to get that..

mmmboh said:
...I'm not sure where the L/1000 comes in...

L/2 = adjacent, (1 + 1/1000)L/2 = hypotenuse.

1. How does the hanging mass method work to find depression in a wire?

The hanging mass method works by suspending a weight at the end of a wire and measuring the amount of depression or sag in the wire. The amount of depression is directly related to the tension and stiffness of the wire, allowing for calculations to determine the wire's Young's modulus, a measure of its elasticity.

2. What materials are needed to perform the hanging mass method?

In order to perform the hanging mass method, you will need a wire, a weight to hang on the end of the wire, a ruler or measuring tape, and a way to secure the wire in place, such as a clamping device or two support stands.

3. Can the hanging mass method be used to find depression in any type of wire?

Yes, the hanging mass method can be used to find depression in any type of wire, as long as it is strong enough to support the weight being hung from it and has enough flexibility to create a noticeable depression. However, different wires may require different weights and measurements in order to obtain accurate results.

4. What are the potential sources of error in the hanging mass method?

The hanging mass method can be affected by several sources of error, such as the accuracy of the measurement tools, environmental factors like temperature and humidity, and the consistency of the wire's material and structure. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to obtain reliable results.

5. How is the data collected from the hanging mass method used to calculate the wire's Young's modulus?

The data collected from the hanging mass method, including the weight used, the length of the wire, and the amount of depression, can be plugged into a formula to calculate the wire's Young's modulus. This value represents the wire's stiffness and can be used to compare the properties of different wires or to determine their suitability for specific applications.