Find derivatives and bounds of x^2 e^(-3x)

In summary, this conversation involves finding the derivative and critical points of a function, determining where the function is increasing and decreasing using the derivative, and using the second derivative to identify points of inflection and determine concavity. In the second conversation, the goal is to use calculus to find the values of a and b that would result in a maximum at (2,1) for a given function. Finally, the third conversation discusses using calculus to find the best bounds for a function over a given interval. The student is seeking help and clarification on the steps involved in solving these problems. However, it is mentioned by the teacher that this is a take-home test and the student should not be seeking help from anyone.
cosh
1.with the function: f(x) = x^2e^-3x

a)find f'(x) and f''(x)
b)find the critical points of f(x)
c)use the derivative to determine where f(x) is increasing and decreasing.
d)use the second derivative to determine where f(x) is concave up and concave down. Identify any points of inflection.

I got the first and second derivative, I just want to make sure I took the derivative correctly.

f'(x)= 2x(e^-3x) - (3x^2)(e^-3x)
f''(x)= 2(e^-3x) + (9x^2)(e^-3x)

Then I set the first derivative equal to zero in order to find the critical points.

getting x= 0 and x= 2/3

I want to make sure I did a and b correctly, then I need some help with c and d.

----------------------------

2. For the function y= axe^-bx^2 use calculus to find exact values of a and b so that the function has a maximum at (2,1).

I tried taking the derivative and then plugging in the x and y values, but I'm having trouble finding a and b.

y'= a(e^-bx^2) - 2bxax(e^-bx^2) then plugging in (2,1)
1= a(e^-b(2)^2) - 2b(2)a(2)(e^-b(2)^2)

I'm lost after that part.
-------------------------------------------

3. Use calculus to find the best bounds for f(t)= tsqrt(4-t^2) for -1 =< t =< 2 (-1 less than or equal to t, and t less than or equal to 2.

I believe you take the derivative and then set it equal to zero to get the critical points. After that, I need some help to get the bounds.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1c) For a function to be increasing, the first derivative must always be positive(i.e. >0) and for a fn. to be decreasing it must be...guess it...that's right always negative...

concave up and concave down simply means max or min points...so sub the critical values into f''(x) and if you get a +ve answer,then it is a min point and if -ve..a max point.

ok thanks, I've got #1 done. I still need help with #2 and #3. If anybody can help, it would be appreciated. thanks

Well if it has a max at (2,1) this means that when x=2 [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/itex] and (2,1) is on the curve...so you can make 2 equations in a and b, so you can solve them and get the values

so step 1. find derivative and equal it to zero? 2. I'm having trouble making the two equations.

the derivative so far is y'= ae^-4b - 4b2ae^-4b= 0

Last edited by a moderator:
well you can just divide by e^(-4b) as this will never be equal to zero for any value of b

well since (2,1) lies on the curve...sub those points into the eq'n and check the other equation

ALSO: is it [itex]e^{-bx^2}[/itex] ?

Well the original equation is y= axe^-bx^2

so I took the derivative and then plugged in 2 into the x's, which gave me e^-4b, that's where I got the e^-4b, but I'm not sure if that's right.

So, eliminating e^-4b in the equation I should have a - 4b2a?

I would suspect that if everything is right so far (the derivative i mean) now its pretty easy just take in the values (2,1) plug them in the original equation and you get another equation in terms of a, b plus the one that you now have from the derivative you get a system of two equations and two unknowns a, b ... you can find the values of a, b.

;)

ok so the original equation with the values plugged in, is

1= 2ae^-4b

But what I'm still fuzzy on is, do I plug (2,1) into the derivative as well?

This is your teacher. I know who you are. Which part of the "I did not receive help from anyone" did you not understand of the take home test?

Yoklic said:
This is your teacher. I know who you are. Which part of the "I did not receive help from anyone" did you not understand of the take home test?

You should contact a Mentor of this forum if this really is a school work that the student should not seek help for. Please use the REPORT button that is attached to every post on PF to report that post, and include any relevant information that we can use to verify that this really is what you say it is.

We do not condone any level of "cheating" on PF, and if verified, such post will be deleted and the member warned.

Zz.

1. What is the derivative of x^2 e^(-3x)?

The derivative of x^2 e^(-3x) is (2x - 3x^2) e^(-3x).

2. How do you find the derivative of a product of two functions?

To find the derivative of a product of two functions, you can use the product rule which states that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x).

3. What is the bound for the function x^2 e^(-3x)?

As x approaches positive or negative infinity, the function x^2 e^(-3x) approaches 0. Therefore, the upper and lower bounds for this function are both 0.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the slope of the function at a specific point.

5. How does the value of x affect the derivative of x^2 e^(-3x)?

The value of x affects the derivative of x^2 e^(-3x) by changing the slope of the function. As x increases, the slope of the function decreases, and as x decreases, the slope of the function increases.