Find Discontinuation Points of f(x) = x*[x]

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function $f(x) = x*[x]$ is not continuous for every $x$ in $\Bbb Z$, except for $x=0$, and is continuous for every $x$ not in $\Bbb Z$ and for $x=0$. However, when trying to plot the function in Maple, different results were obtained. The function may involve the "fractional part" of $x$, denoted by $[x]$, which can be defined as $x - \lfloor x \rfloor$ if $x \geq 0$, and $x - \lceil x \rceil$ for $x < 0$. To understand the discontinuity of the function, two
Yankel
Hello all.

I am trying to find the discontinuation points of the function: f(x) = x*[x]

I have a solution attached, according to which the function is not continuous for every x in Z, apart from x=0, and continuous for every x not in Z and for x=0. However, trying to plot this in maple gave different results. While this was the answer for x*ceil(x) or x*floor(x), for x*round(x) I got a plot that doesn't match the answer. I want to ask you, can you please explain to me what [x] means and where is the function x*[x] continuous?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unsure what $[x]$ means, as well-it's possible it may mean the "fractional part" of $x$, that is (for example):

$[\pi] = \pi - 3$ (to be more precise $[x] = x - \lfloor x \rfloor$ if $x \geq 0$, and $[x] = x - \lceil x \rceil$ for $x < 0$).

I believe it is easiest to approach this problem (if I am correct about what $[x]$ means) with a two-pronged attack:

1. Show that if $x \not\in \Bbb Z$, that $[x]$ is continuous (on some interval containing $x$), and thus $f$ is continuous.

2. Show if $x \in \Bbb Z - \{0\}$ that $f$ is discontinuous directly from the definition ($\epsilon-\delta$ criterion).

$x = 0$ is a "special case", because of the factor $x$ in $f(x) = x[x]$.

It would help if we had an image of your function.

1. What is a discontinuation point in a function?

A discontinuation point, also known as a discontinuity, is a point on a function where the function is not defined or is not continuous. This means that there is a break or jump in the graph of the function, indicating a change in the behavior of the function.

2. How do I find the discontinuation points of a function?

To find the discontinuation points of a function, you need to look for values of x that make the function undefined. This can happen when the denominator of a fraction is equal to zero, when there is a square root of a negative number, or when there is a logarithm of a negative number. These values of x are called the discontinuation points of the function.

3. What is the purpose of finding the discontinuation points of a function?

Knowing the discontinuation points of a function is important for understanding the behavior of the function. It helps to identify where the function is not defined or where there are breaks or jumps in the graph, which can affect the overall shape and interpretation of the function.

4. Can a function have multiple discontinuation points?

Yes, a function can have multiple discontinuation points. This can happen when there are multiple values of x that make the function undefined, such as in a rational function with multiple terms in the denominator.

5. How do I graph a function with discontinuation points?

To graph a function with discontinuation points, you first need to identify the discontinuation points and mark them on the x-axis with an open circle. Then, you can graph the function as usual, making sure to draw the graph around the discontinuation points. This will show the breaks or jumps in the graph, indicating the behavior of the function at those points.