1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find distance from ramp at which skier lands

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skier leaves the ramp of a ski jump with V=10.0 m/s at 15° above the horizontal. Slope of mountain below ramp is 50°. Assuming air resistance is negligible, find distance from end of ramp at which skier lands.

2. Relevant equations
    1. sf = si + vist + ½ast2
    2. tanΘ = y(t)/x(t)
    3. Vix = VicosΘ
    4. Viy = VisinΘ

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attachment below. I'm fairly confident in my working yet I know 27.8m isn't correct. I'm having difficulty finding my mistake though. I'm hoping someone else is more eagle-eyed. 20160829_143053.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It's exceedingly difficult to make out the details of your work in your attached image. You'll have to do something about that if you want others to help.

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You mean the distance between take off point and landing point "along the slope of mountain"?
    It is not 27.8m. It is hard to follow your working. Set up an equation using displacements as a function of time and a little trigonometry.

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4
    Sorry about that; it looked clearer from my side. 20160829_160347.jpg

6. Aug 29, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Looks good! Xf is the horizontal distance travelled. I thought the problem was asking for the distance along the slope. I think your answer is correct.

7. Aug 29, 2016 #6
    cnh1995, you're right. I misinterpreted the question. It should have been the distance along the slope.

8. Aug 29, 2016 #7

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Then you can get it using simple trigonometry now that you have Xf.

9. Aug 29, 2016 #8
    I got the final answer. Thank you very much. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted