Find distance of Champagne cork

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ienjoytrig...
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Ienjoytrig...
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A champagne bottle (diameter = 0.014 m) rests on its side on top of a frictionless table. The cork pops and the bottle slides backwards a distance of 0.3 meters in 0.72 seconds. If the bottle’s mass is 500 times greater than the cork’s mass, find the distance from the original position the cork will land on the table.

M= Bottle mass
m= cork mass

Homework Equations


vbottle=d/t
pbottle=Mv

The Attempt at a Solution


vbottle= (.3m)/(.72s)= .42m/s
pbottle= (.5kg)(.42 m/s) = .21 kg m/s

Obviously, I substituted M for .5kg making m= .001kg.

This is where I got stuck and I just need someone to help me with my next equation. From there I should be able to get through this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, cupid.

Using CoM I got:

0kg m/s + 0kg m/s = (.21kg m/s) + pc, f
pc, f = -.21kg m/s

p=mv
-.21kg m/s = (.001kg)(v)
v = -210m/s

v = vi + at
-210m/s = 0m/s + (-9.8m/s2)(t)
21.43s = t

x = xi + vit + 1/2 a t2
x = 0m + 0m/s(21.43s) + 1/2 (9.8m/s2)(21.43s)
x = 2550.3m
 
Last edited: