Calculating Distance Traveled by Cart with Sliding Block

In summary: He said it should be 0.36-0.007 or 0.33 meters. In summary, 0.36 meters is the distance the cart travels from when the block is set in motion to the time it stops sliding.
Raj Kishore
Homework Statement
A block of mass m =0.75 kg is set on a large cart of mass M = 6.5 kg. The cart's rollers are frictionless, but there is a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.36 between the cart's surface and the block. The cart is at rest when the block is given an initial speed of 5.2 m/s. The block slides across the cart's surface, but the sliding stops before the block reaches the other end of the cart.

What distance does the cart travel along the floor from the time the block is set in motion to the time sliding ceases?The attempt at a solution
What I did to solve the problem is I first used conservation of momentum to find the final velocity of the cart.
I did mv0 = (m+M)vf .
Then I found acceleration by doing a = μmg/M.
Then I used those values and used v2 = v02 +2ax and solved for x, and got .35 meters, but it is wrong. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raj Kishore said:
The cart's rollers are frictionless ... What distance does the cart travel ... ?
Once the cart starts to move, what is going to stop it?

nothing stops the cart, but the question is asking how much distance has it traveled until the block on top stops sliding

Raj Kishore said:
nothing stops the cart, but the question is asking how much distance has it traveled until the block on top stops sliding
Ah. Good point. I missed that.

Your expression for [itex]a[/itex] is wrong. The force of friction is [itex]F_f = - \mu mg[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the mass of the block. So the relevant acceleration is [itex]a = - \mu g[/itex].

Isn't that the acceleration of the block? The acceleration of the cart would be Ma = μmg, so a = μmg/M... right? Or am I wrong?

Raj Kishore said:
Isn't that the acceleration of the block? The acceleration of the cart would be Ma = μmg, so a = μmg/M... right? Or am I wrong?

You're right--that's how far the block slides on the cart before coming to rest, which isn't what the problem asked for.

Last edited:
So in terms of the cart, we have the initial velocity is zero, and the final velocity is [itex]v[/itex], so we use your formula:

[itex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a x[/itex]

with [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]a = \frac{\mu m g}{M}[/itex] (as you said). (the acceleration of the cart is positive.)

Raj, your work looks correct to me. With g = 9.8 m/s2, I get the distance to be 0.355 m = 0.36 m.

Likes conscience
Ok thanks guys, I talked to my teacher and he said he made a calculation error.

1. What is a block sliding on top of a cart?

A block sliding on top of a cart refers to a physical system where a solid block is placed on top of a moving cart or platform. The block and the cart are in contact with each other and the block can slide freely on top of the cart as it moves.

2. What factors affect the motion of a block sliding on top of a cart?

The motion of a block sliding on top of a cart is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block and cart, the coefficient of friction between the block and cart, and any external forces acting on the system such as gravity or applied forces.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of a block sliding on top of a cart?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a block sliding on top of a cart, a higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to the block's motion, causing it to slow down or stop more quickly.

4. Can a block sliding on top of a cart have a constant velocity?

Yes, if the forces acting on the system are balanced and there is no net external force, the block sliding on top of a cart can maintain a constant velocity. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion and is often referred to as the law of inertia.

5. How can the motion of a block sliding on top of a cart be calculated?

The motion of a block sliding on top of a cart can be calculated using principles of Newtonian mechanics, such as Newton's Second Law of Motion and the equations for calculating force, acceleration, and velocity. The specific calculations will depend on the given conditions and variables of the system.