Find electric field separating two charged masses suspended on strings

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a question and showing their attempts at solving it. The other person reminds them to follow forum rules and show their work before receiving help. It is then pointed out that the person did not account for the interaction between two charges. The person asks for more information and clarification on the equation and direction of force between the two charged particles in the problem.
jay_chay22
Homework Statement
Two uniform opposite charge with a mass of 2g. has a charge of 5x10^-8 coulomb .The length of the string is 10 cm and the angle is 10°. Find the electric field ?( The answer is 4.43 x 10^5 N/C.)
Relevant Equations
F= qe
Please help me on this question
I have tried to do it many times but I end up getting the wrong answers.
I have show my work what I have done.

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 102
  • pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jay. By forum rules you'll need to show us exactly what you've tried before we can offer help. We need to see what your current understanding of the problem is.

gneill said:
Hello jay. By forum rules you'll need to show us exactly what you've tried before we can offer help. We need to see what your current understanding of the problem is.
Can you check it for me what I went wrong ?
This is what I get and it is a wrong answer.

Attachments

• pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I got what you got

It would appear that you've not accounted for the interaction between the two charges. One is positive and the other negative, so...

gneill said:
It would appear that you've not accounted for the interaction between the two charges. One is positive and the other negative, so...
So can you tell me more information on how to find the answer ?

jay_chay22 said:
So can you tell me more information on how to find the answer ?
What is the equation for the force between two charged particles? For this problem, in which direction will it act for each particle?

1. What is the concept of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space.

2. How is electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the electric force experienced by a charged particle by the charge of the particle. Mathematically, it is expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the electric force, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. How does the distance between two charged masses affect the electric field?

The electric field between two charged masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa.

4. What are the units of electric field?

The SI unit of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). Other commonly used units include volts per meter (V/m) and kilovolts per meter (kV/m).

5. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force experienced by a positive charge. A positive electric field indicates that the force and the field are in the same direction.