Finding f(f(2)) from the functional equation 2+f(x)f(y)=f(x)+f(y)+f(xy)

  • Thread starter Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 7K views
utkarshakash
Gold Member
Messages
852
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


If f(x) is a polynomial function satisfying 2+f(x)f(y)=f(x)+f(y)+f(xy), x,y belongs to R and if f(2)=5, then find the value of f(f(2))

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


The question clearly seeks the value of f(5). I put x=0 and y=2. Then
2+f(0)f(2)=f(0)+f(2)+f(0)
2+5f(0)=2f(0)+5
f(0)=1

Now I put x=0 and y=5
2+f(0)f(5)=f(0)+f(5)+f(0)
f(5)=f(5)
:confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) is a polynomial function. What does it mean?
ehild
 
ehild said:
f(x) is a polynomial function. What does it mean?



ehild

Nothing special I can think of.
 
haruspex said:
Consider a substitution f(x) = g(x) + c. Can you find a value of c that simplifies the equation?

I'm going to second this suggestion
 
utkarshakash said:
Nothing special I can think of.

f(x) is a polynomial function, of form f(x)=a0+a1x+a2x2+a3x3+...

What relations do you get for the coefficients from the given equation and data?


ehild
 
Last edited:
ehild said:
f(x) is a polynomial function, of form f(x)=a0+a1x+a2x2+a3x3+...

What relations do you get for the coefficients from the given equation and data? ehild
I still don't know the degree of polynomial
 
haruspex said:
Consider a substitution f(x) = g(x) + c. Can you find a value of c that simplifies the equation?

Ok following your method I arrive at this

2+g(x)g(y)+(c-1){g(x)+g(y)}=3c-c2+g(xy)
 
utkarshakash said:
Ok following your method I arrive at this

2+g(x)g(y)+(c-1){g(x)+g(y)}=3c-c2+g(xy)
Right, so what value of c will simplify that greatly?
 
utkarshakash said:
I still don't know the degree of polynomial

That is you need to figure out. From the condition f(2)=5 you get a relation between f(y) and f(2y), and that can be fulfilled with polynomials of a certain degree.

ehild
 
Last edited:
haruspex said:
Right, so what value of c will simplify that greatly?

The only number I can think of is 1
 
Right, so what equation do you get for g()? When you have that, suppose α is a root of g(x). What other root(s) can you then deduce?
 
Last edited:
I show my way as I think it is quite simple and straightforward.

2+f(x)f(y)=f(x)+f(y)+f(xy)

From f(2)=5 follows: 2+5f(x)=5+f(x)+f(2x) ----> -3+4f(x)=f(2x)*

f(x) is a polynomial f(x)=a0+a1x+a2x2+...+akxk+...

Plug into * and compare the coefficients of powers of x on both sides

-3+4(a0+a1x+a2x2+...+akxk+...)=a0+2a1x+4a2x2+...+2kakxk+...-3+4a0=a0
4a1=2a1
4a2=4a2
.
.
.
4ak=2kak

What is the degree of the polynomial?

ehild
 
haruspex said:
Ah, but mine is so elegant :wink:

Elegant and cute, but less obvious.
 
I must be dumb but still do not know your solution.:mad:

ehild
 
ehild said:
I must be dumb but still do not know your solution.:mad:

ehild

I saw it. g(x)g(y)=g(xy) means if x is root of g then xy must be a root of g for ANY y. Severely limits the choice of roots. I think this is little too subtle.
 
Dick said:
I saw it. g(x)g(y)=g(xy) means if x is root of g then xy must be a root of g for ANY y. Severely limits the choice of roots. I think this is little too subtle.

I reached here, but what after? f(x)=1+xh(x). But it is obvious as f(x) is polynomial, and f(0)=1 (obtained by the OP already). Find the possible root of h?

ehild
 
Last edited:
ehild said:
I reached here, but what after? f(x)=1+xh(x). Find the possible root of h?

ehild

I'm not sure what h is supposed to be here. But once you get to the post you quoted you say "ah, g(x) must be xk" and use f(2) = 5 to figure out what k is
 
Office_Shredder said:
I'm not sure what h is supposed to be here. But once you get to the post you quoted you say "ah, g(x) must be xk"

I do not see that "ah":mad: Perhaps I stick to my version too much which gives the degree at once.

ehild
 
Last edited:
ehild said:
I do not see that "ah":mad: Perhaps I stick to my version too much which gives the degree at once.

ehild
If α is a root of g(x) then so is every multiple of α. So α = 0, and g(x) = axk, some a, k. From the equation involving g, a = 1.
 
haruspex said:
If α is a root of g(x) then so is every multiple of α. So α = 0, and g(x) = axk, some a, k. From the equation involving g, a = 1.


Why can not have g(x) other roots than zero? :mad:

ehild
 
ehild said:
Why can not have g(x) other roots than zero? :mad:

ehild


If g(b) = 0, then
g(b)g(y) = g(by)
0 = g(by)

If b is not equal to zero, I can pick y to make b*y any arbitrary number, so g = 0 always. Therefore the only possible value b can be is zero
 
I awoke at last (it is 8 am here). So from g(b)=0 follows that b=0; then all b-s have to be zero if g(b)=0. Thanks :)

But my solution is also nice:wink:

ehild
 
ehild said:
I awoke at last (it is 8 am here). So from g(b)=0 follows that b=0; then all b-s have to be zero if g(b)=0. Thanks :)

But my solution is also nice:wink:

ehild

Sure. One reason I like my solution is that it solves the functional equation in general. You only have to plug in the datapoints given at the end.
 
I have to admit that your solution is really elegant and cute :cool:

ehild
 
haruspex said:
Right, so what equation do you get for g()? When you have that, suppose α is a root of g(x). What other root(s) can you then deduce?

g(x)g(y)=g(xy). Ok I assume that g(α)=0. So g(α)g(y)=g(αy) => g(αy)=0. This means any multiple of α is a root of g(x). But how is this result useful to me?
 
Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
g(x)g(y)=g(xy). Ok I assume that g(α)=0. So g(α)g(y)=g(αy) => g(αy)=0. This means any multiple of α is a root of g(x). But how is this result useful to me?
A polynomial has only finitely many roots. So you can deduce the value of α.
 
haruspex said:
A polynomial has only finitely many roots. So you can deduce the value of α.

Ok I think the value of α is 0.
 
utkarshakash said:
Ok I think the value of α is 0.

Exactly. So, what is the general form of g(x), and thus, the general form of f(x)?