• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Find f(x,y) s.t. z=f(x,y) defines a plane in R^3

• Thread starter gex
  • Start date

gex

The Question:
Question.JPG

Attempt at a solution:
Sol attempt.jpg

I know for a fact that my attempt is fully wrong, but I am just grasping at straws here and have no clue how to approach this problem. Any help getting me to wrap my head around how to approach this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
The Question:
View attachment 240732
Attempt at a solution:
View attachment 240733

I know for a fact that my attempt is fully wrong, but I am just grasping at straws here and have no clue how to approach this problem. Any help getting me to wrap my head around how to approach this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Try setting ##f(x,y) = ax + by + c## for some unknown constants ##a,b,c.## Using your given contitions you can eventually determine ##a,b## and ##c##.

Last edited:
Reactions: gex

gex

Try setting f(x,y)=ax+by+cf(x,y)=ax+by+cf(x,y) = ax + by + c for some unknown constants a,b,c.a,b,c.a,b,c. Using your given contitions you can eventually determine a,ca,ca,c and ccc.
Thank you so much Ray! I don't know how that didn't cross my mind. I successfully solved the problem now.