Find Final Speed of 5MeV Protons in m/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter DR13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electricity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
DR13
Messages
150
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Protons from a Van de Graaff accelerator are released from rest at a potential of 20MV and travel through a vacuum to a region of 0 potential.
Charge of electron is 1.6x10^-19C and mass of electron is 1.67x10^-27kg
Find the final speed of the 5MeV protons
Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations



eV=U=-.5mv^2
maybe some others. I am not sure

The Attempt at a Solution



To be honest I have no idea where to even start. I am not sure why they give me info on electrons then ask about protons. I just need a starting point

Thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they simply screwed up and meant to give you the data on protons. It's also interesting why traveling through a 20MV potential difference would give the protons 5MeV. Shouldn't it be 20MeV?
 
Yeah i talked to my teacher to day and she said it was a screw up.
Thanks though