1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a proton in an electric field

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton (+e) accelerates from rest in a uniform electric field of 640 N/C. At some later time, the proton's speed is 1.20 x 10^6 m/s. Find the acceleration of the proton. The mass of a proton is 1.67x10^-27 kg. Charge on a proton is +1.6x10^-19C.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    F=qE

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=qE
    F=ma
    ma=qE
    (1.6x10^-19)(640)=(1.67x10^-27)(a)
    a=6.13x10^10m/s^2

I don't think this is correct. I ignored the (+e) because I didn't know what to do with it. Wouldn't an electron and a proton mean a net neutral charge? Also, the acceleration is just way too high. The particle would have to travel faster than the speed of light for a short time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me.
    +e is just the proton's charge, which you used just fine. e is the elementary charge; the charge on an electron is -e, on a proton it's +e.

There's no electron in this problem.

The acceleration is high. Once the speed gets too high, Newton's laws must be modified using relativity. Note that the speed they quote is only a small fraction of light speed.

4. Aug 18, 2012 #3
    Okay. I thought that by +e the problem meant that the electron and the proton were a pair (as in a hydrogen atom). They just meant that the charge on a proton is the same as the charge on an electron, but positive. Thanks for clearing that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook