Find Force from Flux: Solar Sail at 3 AU

  • Thread starter Thread starter ma18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flux Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ma18
Messages
93
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



What is the flux on a solar sail per square meter, if it orbits the Sun at 3 AU. Flux at 1 AU is 1.36 KW/square meter


Homework Equations



Flux goes as 1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



Flux at 3 AU will be 1.36/3^2 = 1.36/9 = 0.15 KW/square meter

I can't figure out how to relate this to the force though?

Any help would be appreciated.

*This is practise for a test not an assignment queston
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ma18 said:

Homework Statement



What is the flux on a solar sail per square meter, if it orbits the Sun at 3 AU. Flux at 1 AU is 1.36 KW/square meter


Homework Equations



Flux goes as 1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



Flux at 3 AU will be 1.36/3^2 = 1.36/9 = 0.15 KW/square meter

I can't figure out how to relate this to the force though?

Any help would be appreciated.

*This is practise for a test not an assignment queston

The force will depend upon the angle of incidence of the light (assuming we are talking photon flux here!) and how much of the light is absorbed versus reflected. For perfect reflection and an angle of incidence of zero degrees from the normal the pressure exerted will be 2Ef/c. If the angle is not zero degrees then there's a cos2 term. Look up "radiation pressure".
 
Oops just realized I put the wrong thing in the first post, it should say "What is the force..."
 
I think I got it. Force per square meter = Pressure and (Radiative) Pressure = Flux/c