Calculating Luminosity and Temperature of the Sun from Pluto

In summary: I used the equation for radiative transfer, which is: P*A*σT4. I plugged in the values for Pluto and the Sun, and got the correct temperature.
EzequielSeattle
Hey all, I think that I'm doing this problem correctly but I'm getting an answer that's a couple thousand Kelvins off. Sorry if I should have posted this in the "advanced" section.

1. Homework Statement

Part of a flat region of Pluto has the Sun directly overhead. Its surface temperature is 58 K. You have determined Pluto is 33 AU away from the sun, and the region of interest has an albedo of 0.5. Use all of this information to determine the Sun's luminosity temperature. Assume the Sun and Pluto are perfect black bodies.

Homework Equations

P/A of a black body is equal to σT4, where σ = 5.67x10-8 W*m-2*K-4.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pluto's temperature is 58 K. By the equation above, its power/area radiated outward is σ*584, which is 0.642 W*m-2. Because its albedo is 0.5, it receives double this power from the sun, so the power per area from the sun hitting the surface is 1.283 W*m-2.

Because this power will fall off as the radius squared from the sun, I multiplied this by the square of 33 AU, which is 2.437x1025 square meters. I came away with a total luminosity of 3.13 W. Then, using the same equation above, I get that the effective surface temperature of the Sun is 3193 K, which is almost 3000 K away from the true value. Am I doing something wrong, or is this because of the imprecise variables that I was given in the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
EzequielSeattle said:
Pluto's temperature is 58 K. By the equation above, its power/area radiated outward is σ*584, which is 0.642 W*m-2. Because its albedo is 0.5, it receives double this power from the sun, so the power per area from the sun hitting the surface is 1.283 W*m-2.
Why do you care for the power radiated from Pluto's surface, though?

The power radiated from Pluto's surface is equal to half of the total power it receives from the Sun, because the albedo is 0.5. Right?

Right, sorry. I posted without thinking. Give me a moment to go through it again.
Tentatively, I'd probably look at the difference in areas that receive and reradiate the energy.

EzequielSeattle said:
Because this power will fall off as the radius squared from the sun, I multiplied this by the square of 33 AU, which is 2.437x1025 square meters.
I think this is the issue right here. To get the total power produced by the Sun, you need to take the flux you've just calculated at Pluto's orbit, and multiply it by the area of a sphere at that distance. That is, 4π times the radius squared. This gives the correct luminosity for the Sun.

I'm not sure what method you used to get the temp. from luminosity, though. Don't you need to know the Sun's radius? In any case, with the correct luminosity you should get the correct temperature.

1. How is luminosity calculated for the Sun from Pluto?

Luminosity is calculated by measuring the amount of energy emitted by the Sun and then using the inverse-square law to account for the distance from Pluto. This means that the luminosity decreases as the distance from the Sun increases.

2. What factors affect the calculation of luminosity and temperature of the Sun from Pluto?

The main factors that affect the calculation of luminosity and temperature from Pluto are the distance from the Sun, the size and composition of Pluto's atmosphere, and any potential obstructions such as dust or clouds that could block the Sun's radiation.

3. How accurate are the calculations of luminosity and temperature of the Sun from Pluto?

The calculations of luminosity and temperature are based on models and assumptions about the Sun and Pluto's atmosphere, so they may not be exact. However, they provide a good estimate of the Sun's properties from Pluto's perspective.

4. Can the luminosity and temperature of the Sun be measured directly from Pluto?

No, it is not possible to directly measure the luminosity and temperature of the Sun from Pluto. However, scientists can use telescopes and other instruments to gather data and make calculations based on that data.

5. How does the calculation of the Sun's luminosity and temperature from Pluto compare to the actual values?

The calculated values of luminosity and temperature may be slightly different from the actual values due to factors such as Pluto's atmosphere and potential obstructions. However, they are generally considered to be a good estimate of the Sun's properties from Pluto's perspective.