Find general solution to Bessel's equation with substitution

In summary, we used a change of variables to transform the given equation into a Bessel equation form. By setting z=x^{1/3} and using the chain rule, we were able to find the second derivative of u with respect to x. This transformed the equation to a Bessel equation with no coefficient in front of the first term and of second order.
ILikeMath

Homework Statement

[tex]81x^{2}y'' + 27xy' + (9x^{\frac{2}{3}}+8)y = 0 [/tex]
Hint: y = x1/3u
x1/3 = z

2. The attempt at a solution
Change of variables gives:
[tex] \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = x^{\frac{1}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}+\frac{2}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{du}{dx} - \frac{2}{9}x^{-\frac{5}{3}}u [/tex]

Plugging into original equation:
[tex]81x^{\frac{7}{3}}u'' + 81x^{\frac{4}{3}}u'+(9x-x^{\frac{1}{3}})u = 0[/tex]

Then using x1/3 = z, z' = 1/3 x-2/3
[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} = -\frac{2}{9}x^{-\frac{5}{3}}\frac{du}{dz}+\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{2}}[/tex]

Plugging in:
[tex]3z^{4}u'' + zu' + (z^{2} - \frac{1}{9})u = 0 [/tex]

The Bessel equation does not have a coeffcient in front of the first term and it is also of the second order:
x2y'' + xy' + (x2 - n2)y = 0
Can anyone help me get my equation into the Bessel equation form please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Double check the power of x in the term 9xu.

[tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} = -\frac{2}{9}x^{-\frac{5}{3}}\frac{du}{dz}+\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{2}}[/tex]

Redo your calculation of [tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex] because the term [tex]\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{2}}[/tex] is not right (missed a chain rule along the way?)

Yup, found it. Thanks

Billy Bob said:

Double check the power of x in the term 9xu.

Redo your calculation of [tex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/tex] because the term [tex]\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{2}}[/tex] is not right (missed a chain rule along the way?)

can you show me why the term [tex]\frac{1}{3}x^{-\frac{2}{3}}\frac{d^{2}u}{dz^{2}}[/tex] is wrong?

(I have already followed and checked the chain rule step by step but I still got this term.)

Last edited:
You have

[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{3}x^{-2/3} \frac{du}{dz}[/tex]

Then you differentiate again, applying the product rule, to get

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} = -\frac{2}{9}x^{-5/3}\frac{du}{dz} + \frac{1}{3}x^{-2/3}\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dz}\right)[/tex]

The mistake you're probably making is saying

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dz}\right) \rightarrow \frac{d^2u}{dz^2}[/tex]

which results in the term you got, but you have to remember you're differentiating with respect to x, not z, so you have to apply the chain rule one more time.

vela said:
You have

[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{3}x^{-2/3} \frac{du}{dz}[/tex]

Then you differentiate again, applying the product rule, to get

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} = -\frac{2}{9}x^{-5/3}\frac{du}{dz} + \frac{1}{3}x^{-2/3}\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dz}\right)[/tex]

The mistake you're probably making is saying

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{du}{dz}\right) \rightarrow \frac{d^2u}{dz^2}[/tex]

which results in the term you got, but you have to remember you're differentiating with respect to x, not z, so you have to apply the chain rule one more time.

I've tried to apply the chain rule again as you have told me to do so . I got these following results.

as from du/dx = {(1/3)[x^(-2/3)]}du/dz
thus du/dz = [3x^(-2/3)]du/dx
and then [d(du/dz)]/dx = d[(3x^2/3)(du/dx)]/dx
using product rule; [d(du/dz)]/dx = [2x^(-1/3)]du/dx + [3x^(2/3)]{[(d^2)u]/dx^2}

so i couldn't move on again.

euronemous said:
I've tried to apply the chain rule again as you have told me to do so . I got these following results.

as from du/dx = {(1/3)[x^(-2/3)]}du/dz
thus du/dz = [3x^(-2/3)]du/dx
Why did you solve for du/dz? Remember, you're trying to replace du/dx and d2u/dx2 in the original equation.
and then [d(du/dz)]/dx = d[(3x^2/3)(du/dx)]/dx
using product rule; [d(du/dz)]/dx = [2x^(-1/3)]du/dx + [3x^(2/3)]{[(d^2)u]/dx^2}

so i couldn't move on again.

vela said:
Why did you solve for du/dz? Remember, you're trying to replace du/dx and d2u/dx2 in the original equation.

thx for your advice. Ok, this is my last question. I want you to show me in detail how to get d^2u/dx^2 . please dont't blame me whether i didn't try it myself because actually I did but I stuck with this kind of problems for 3 days .(I have the limit of time before my test!) thanks a lot

You have [itex]z=x^{1/3}[/itex] so that

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{1}{3} x^{-2/3} = \frac{1}{3z^2}[/tex]

The chain rule tells you, for an arbitrary function f,

[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{dz}{dx} \frac{df}{dz} = \frac{1}{3z^2} \frac{df}{dz}[/tex]

Differentiating with respect to x is the same thing as differentiating with respect to z and dividing by 3z2.

So to find du/dx, you'd set f=u and you'd get

[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{3z^2} \frac{du}{dz}[/tex]

and to find d2u/dx2, set f=du/dx and do the same thing:

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} = \frac{1}{3z^2} \frac{d}{dz} \left(\frac{du}{dx}\right) = \frac{1}{3z^2} \frac{d}{dz} \left(\frac{1}{3z^2} \frac{du}{dz}\right)[/tex]

I'll leave it to you to work out the rest.

Thank you very much , I got it!

1. What is Bessel's equation?

Bessel's equation is a second-order differential equation that is used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel, who first studied this type of equation in the 19th century.

2. What is the general solution to Bessel's equation?

The general solution to Bessel's equation is a combination of two independent solutions, which are typically denoted as J and Y. These solutions are known as Bessel functions and are used to describe oscillatory or wave-like behavior in various physical systems.

3. What is substitution in the context of Bessel's equation?

Substitution in the context of Bessel's equation refers to a technique in which a variable is replaced with an expression in terms of another variable. This is often done to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

4. Why is it important to find the general solution to Bessel's equation?

Finding the general solution to Bessel's equation is important because it allows us to describe and understand a wide range of physical phenomena. Bessel's equation is used in many fields of science and engineering, including acoustics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

5. How is the general solution to Bessel's equation used in practical applications?

The general solution to Bessel's equation is used in practical applications to model and predict the behavior of physical systems. For example, Bessel functions are commonly used in signal processing to filter out unwanted frequencies, and in heat transfer to describe the temperature distribution in a cylindrical object.