1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find gravitational potent. energy - isotropic distribution

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am told that the gravitational force of a mass m located inside an isotropic distribution of spherical radius R and total mass M is given by
    Fg = -GmM(r)/r^2
    where r is the distance between m and the center of distribution and M (r) is the mass contained below the distance r (weight between 0 and r). Suppose the sphere is homogeneous of constant density
    ρ= M/((4πR^3)/3)
    I need to find the gravitational potential energy inside the distribution as a function of M, m, R, r and G

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have found the gravitational potential energy, but I don't know how the density is going to come into play. I also don't understand what the isotropic distribution is going to change in my answer and derivation.
    upload_2016-11-6_13-27-4.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2
    I recommend that you read the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation, especially the section "Gravitational field". It seems like the formula you are using is not correct, since it is valid for ##r>R## (##R## being the radius of the sphere). Density is defined as the mass per volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted