1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find harmonic conj of u(x,y)=ln(x^2+y^2)

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find harmonic conjugate of u(x,y)=ln(x^2+y^2) and specify the region it is defined
    then show u has no harm conj on C\{0}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so i found the harmonic conj by converting to polar and found it to be v(r,Θ) = Θ.

I am having trouble finding out where v is defined. Also it seems our analytic function f = u + iv
    is log(z) since u(r,Θ) = ln|r|. Isn't that defined everywhere but zero? Why would u not have a harmonic conj at C\{0}?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The complex log can be defined everywhere but zero, but then you cannot make it continuous.
    The same problem comes up with v=Θ.

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    If you dont mind, could you explain where the problem with v = Θ comes in?

Also, since v = Θ is not continuously defined on C\{0} would that mean that it doesn't have a partial, and therefore cannot satisfy cauchy riemann, which in turn is the reason why u cannot have a harm conj on C\{0}?

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What happens if go around the unit circle, for example?

I don't know what you mean here.

6. Jun 7, 2014 #5
    Θ will go from 0 to 2pi

I am trying to find the reason why v(r,Θ) not continuous on C\{0} implies u does not have a harmonic conjugate on C\{0}. Is it because if it is not continuous then it's partial derivative will not exist on C\{0}, thus implying that that Cauchy Riemann equations will not be satisfied on C\{0}?

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

And what happens at the transition "close to 2 pi -> 0"?

At least not everywhere. Right.

8. Jun 8, 2014 #7
    When theta gets to 2pi it repeats. So at 0 and 2pi the function is multivalued thus not continuous?

9. Jun 8, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Right.

10. Jun 8, 2014 #9
    Thanks for all the help these last couple of days mfb

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted