Find Heat to Turn Water into Steam at 100degC

  • Thread starter Thread starter get_physical
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
get_physical
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Does anybody know the formula to find the amount of heat that is required to turn a mass of room temperature water into steam at 100degC?

I know it has something to do with the specific heat capacity of water.
But apparently there is also one that involves heat of vaporization of water... ?

I'm doing a question that I'm trying to find the heat, and values of the heat capcity and heat of vaporization is given as well as temperature and mass.

I know this formula: Q= m*C*T, but I don't know how to use heat of vaporization...

THank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of heat needed would be= Heat needed to raise temp. to 100C + Heat needed to change the phase of the water from liquid to gas


the latter will have the latent heat of vaporization