Absorption Of Heat; water and steam thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
K29
Messages
103
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Steam initially at 120 oC is passed into 0.60 kg of water initially at 20 o C, and the total mass of water is just brought to the boil at 100C

What is the mass of steam that has condensed? Ignore the thermal capacity of the container and heat losses.



Homework Equations



Q = cm(T2-T1) heat = specific heat * mass * change in temperature
Q = Lm heat = heat of Vaporisation or Fusion * mass
Heat of vaporisation of water is 2260 kJ/kg
Specific heat of water is 4200 J/kg.oC
Specific heat of steam is 2100 J/kg.oC


The Attempt at a Solution


Qgained by water being heated = Qlost by steam being cooled + Q Lost by steam being condensed

cmw(T2-T1) = cmstot(T2-T1) +Lmscondensed

Unfortunately I can't seem to get rid of mstot. It is not given and I need to either work it out or find another equation. Help!
If it helps, the final answer should be 87g
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem can't be solved otherwise, why not assume that all the steam condensed?
 
I have tried this and get
|cmw(T2-T1)| = |cms(T2-T1)| +|Lms|
|4200 * 0.6 (100-20)| = |2100 * ms(100-120)| + |2260ms|
|201600|= |-42000ms|+|2260ms|
201600 = 42000ms+2260ms
201600=44260ms
ms=4.55 kg

As I said above the answer given in the notes is 87g = 0.087kg :(