Find Height of Elliptical Arch Spanning 118ft & 8ft High

• Thread starter xsn53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ellipses
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of an arch at its center, given a span of 118 feet and a height of 8 feet at a distance of 25 feet from the center. The conversation includes equations for an ellipse and suggests using the coordinates (\pm{25},8) to solve for the height at the center. By plugging in the values and solving for b, the height at the center is determined to be approximately 8.83 feet.
xsn53

Homework Statement

A bridge is built in the shape of a semielliptical arch. It has a span of 118 feet. The height of the arch 25 feet from the center is to be 8 feet. Find the height of the arch at its center?

Homework Equations

not sure if the 25 feet from the center is the focal axis or not?

The Attempt at a Solution

with the given info i know that i have the variable a in the equation of an ellipse:

(x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1 (a>b)

and i know that i am looking for the minor axis or semiminor axis to be exact. The Foci:

(+ or - c,0) where c^2 = a^2 - b^2 I have, a, which is the span 118/2 = 59 for the semimajor axis. i believe i have, c, which is 25, but when i plug them in and solve for, b, i do not get the right answer. I believe i may need to do something with the 8 feet, but i have not seen it. If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the statement "The height of the arch 25 feet from the center is to be 8 feet" means that at [tex]x=\pm{25}[/tex], [tex]y=8[/tex] giving the coordinates [tex](\pm{25},8)[/tex]. So try putting those coodinates into the equation [tex]{\frac{x^2}{25^2}}+{\frac{y^2}{b^2}}=1[/tex] and solve for [tex]b^2[/tex].

Deadleg said:
I think the statement "The height of the arch 25 feet from the center is to be 8 feet" means that at [tex]x=\pm{25}[/tex], [tex]y=8[/tex] giving the coordinates [tex](\pm{25},8)[/tex]. So try putting those coodinates into the equation [tex]{\frac{x^2}{25^2}}+{\frac{y^2}{b^2}}=1[/tex] and solve for [tex]b^2[/tex].
Was that a typo? We are told that the span is 118 feet and you haven't used that. Put x= 25, y= 8 into
[tex]\frac{x^2}{118^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/itex]
and solve for b.

Oh yeah whoops :S But span=2a so a=59, so I believe the equation is [tex]\frac{x^2}{59^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex].

yes, thank you for your quick replies, when i put the values in for x,y and a, (59) I get:

(118 * sqr root(714)) / 357 ---> which breaks into a cool +/- 8.83. which what do you

know, is exactly the right answer :) Thanks again for the help with the problem, I was thinking I had to use the 8 somewhere, once again thanks for all your help, and steering me in a right direction.

What is an elliptical arch?

An elliptical arch is a type of architectural structure that is curved in the shape of an ellipse. It is commonly used in bridges, tunnels, and other structures to support weight and distribute forces evenly.

How do you calculate the height of an elliptical arch?

The height of an elliptical arch can be calculated using the mathematical formula 2/5 * (span)^2 / (height), where span is the length of the arch and height is the height of the arch at its highest point.

What is the span of the arch in this scenario?

The span of the arch is 118 feet, which is the distance between the two supports that hold up the arch.

Is the height of the arch constant along its span?

No, the height of an elliptical arch varies along its span. The height is highest at the center of the arch and decreases towards the ends.

What factors can affect the height of an elliptical arch?

The height of an elliptical arch can be affected by several factors, including the span of the arch, the weight of the structure it is supporting, and the material used to construct the arch. Other factors such as environmental conditions and the design of the arch can also play a role in determining its height.