1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding The Equation of an Ellipse

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The point P on a circle is transformed into the point P' on a ellipse.

The point P is (6,8), and lies on a circle with the equation X^2 + Y^2 = 100.
    Point P' lies on the same graph after it has been transformed into a ellipse, with the co-ordinates (4,12). (No transitions, only a stretch factor change.) Both conics have an origin of 0,0. Find the equation for the new ellipse in the form, x^2 / a^2 + y^2 / b^2 = 1. Most importantly find the stretch factors A and B.

2. Relevant equations

standard circle = x^2 + y^2 = r^2
    standard ellipse = x^2 / a^2 + y^2 / b^2 = 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

Till this point, I have only done this type of question when the points being transformed lied on either the major or minor axis. I have attempted to substitute the point in which the ellipse passes through, but to no avail, as I cannot solve for both A and B at the same time as they're both unknown. I have thought about linear systems, but I only have one pair of co-ordinates, and I don't believe I can figure out the major/minor axis given my level of trigonometry (only works on circles). I am unable to identity the relationship between P and P' and its relevance to helping me find A and B.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since both conics have center at (0,0), all points on the circle scale by the same x factor and by the same y-factor as they are transformed into the ellipse.

What horizontal scaling factor will map the x coordinate of P to the x coordinate of P'?
    What vertical scaling factor will map the y coordinate of P to the y coordinate of P'?

On a relevant but general note. If you have a relation expressed as an equation or inequality in x and y. Then a horizontal scaling by a factor of a and a vertical scaling by a factor of b is accomplished by the variable substitution x--> x/a, y-->y/b.

Similarly a horizontal translation by a distance of h and vertical translation by a distance of k results from/is accomplished by the substitution x --> (x-h), y--> (y-k).

With that in mind let me give one more hint. A circle is an ellipse and so can be written in the standard ellipse form: (divide through by r^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook