1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find index of refraction of a sphere given the beam path

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of parallel light rays from a laser is incident on a solid transparent sphere of index of refraction n1 (see figure). (a) If a point image is produced at the back of the sphere, what is the index of refraction of the sphere? (b)What index of refraction, if any, will produce a point image at the center of the sphere.

2. Relevant equations

n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

n1 ~ 1.0 for air
    i = 2r

Assuming that the factor n1/p -> 0 since the object is so far away that the light rays are parallel (is this assumption correct?)

(a) Substituting for n1 and i:

n2/2r = n2/r - 1/r

n2/2r - n2/r = -1/r

n2 (1/2r - 2/2r) = -1/r

n2(-1/2r) = -1/r

n2 = 2

This is the correct answer, but I want to make sure my assumption above was correct and I didn't just luck out.

(b) Using the same equation from part 2 above, but substituting i = r,

n2/r = n2/r - 1/r

0 = - 1/r

In order for this to be true, the sphere would have to be infinitely large so, realistically, there is no value of r that would place the image at the center of the sphere.

Attached Files:

• 19p.jpg
      19p.jpg
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For b, you can see that it is not possible by running the light rays in reverse. If they originate at the centre of the sphere then they will not refract at all, so cannot become parallel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted