Find Initial Velocity (With Wind Factored In)

In summary, the question is about finding the initial velocity with wind factored in. The equation provided is for zero wind and the person is looking for an equation that will work in their computer program. They have included the necessary information such as wind speed, wind angle, coordinates, distance, projectile mass, and theta. They have also mentioned that the velocity remains constant and they have been searching for an answer for over 5 months. A picture with equations for finding initial velocity in zero wind is included.
SomeGuy121
[Please Help!] Find Initial Velocity (With Wind Factored In)

I can't do it =\.

Q: What equation would I use to find initial velocity? Given: Wind Speed, Wind Angle, Coordinates of Origin, Coordinates of End Point, (Distance), Projectile Mass, Theta (Angle to Use)

Here's my repost from a previous topic:

Hey Physics Forums. This is my first post here, and I'm just wondering about how to find what the initial velocity SHOULD be based on all the other information that I provide (it's for a program application I coded).

Anyways, I have this right now (which is for no wind/0 wind):

I am just wondering how I would go about factoring in the "wind" and wind's angle.

Wind Angles:

^ 90
< 180 > 0
\/ 270

As you can see, the wind angle starts at East 0 and increases counter-clockwise.

Anyways, here's the formula:

Velocity = Sqrt((Mass * (DifferenceInX^ 2)) / (2 * (DifferenceInX) * Sin(Theta* PI / 180) * Cos(Thtea * PI / 180) - (2 * (DifferenceInY)) * ((Cos(Theta* PI / 180) ^ 2))))

Where Theta is the angle of the shot; Difference in X is the difference in coordinates X of the starting position and where you want the shot to end; and DifferenceInY is the difference in coordinates Y of the starting and ending position.

Please help me out! Thanks.

I don't take a Physics course yet, I'm enrolled in Algebra 2 at the moment, but am heavily interested in the Physics course of study, so please do help me out!

I need an equation, like the one above, that will work in my computer program.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the velocity remains constant; it doesn't change...

I don't know why my question hasn't been answered as of yet! This isn't homework, this is off-to-the-side-what-I-do work.

I have no idea how to begin to make this all work. I've been looking for an answer for over 5 months!

I'll include a picture with equations for finding initial velocity in zero wind.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 480
The final line is the line to find initial velocity in 0 wind.

Velocity = Sqrt((Mass * (DifferenceInX^ 2)) / (2 * (DifferenceInX) * Sin(Theta* PI / 180) * Cos(Thtea * PI / 180) - (2 * (DifferenceInY)) * ((Cos(Theta* PI / 180) ^ 2))))

1. What is initial velocity and why is it important to factor in wind?

Initial velocity is the speed at which an object is launched or thrown. It is important to factor in wind because wind can affect the trajectory and speed of an object, thus impacting its final position and landing point.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity with wind factored in?

To calculate initial velocity with wind factored in, you will need to use the vector addition formula. This involves breaking down the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, adding the wind velocity to the horizontal component, and using trigonometry to find the resultant velocity.

3. Can initial velocity be negative when wind is factored in?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative when wind is factored in. This means that the object is being launched or thrown in the opposite direction of the wind, and the wind is slowing it down.

4. How does wind direction affect the initial velocity?

Wind direction can affect the initial velocity by either adding to or subtracting from the horizontal component of the initial velocity. This can result in a change in the angle of the resultant velocity and ultimately impact the trajectory of the object.

5. Are there any assumptions or limitations when calculating initial velocity with wind factored in?

Yes, there are a few assumptions and limitations when calculating initial velocity with wind factored in. These include assuming that the wind is constant and only affecting the horizontal component of the initial velocity, and not accounting for other factors such as air resistance or the shape of the object.