1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Integral values in a Quadratic equation

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The number of integral values of 'a' for which the quadratic equation (x + a) (x + 1991) + 1 = 0
    has integral roots are:

2. Relevant equations

D = b² - 4ac

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was simplify the given equation and I got:

x² + (1991 + a)x + (1991a + 1) = 0

Now: (1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)

What do I do after this: Please help, I am not even sure that I am on the correct path.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2
    Assume that ##b## and ##c## are the integer roots. Then,
    $$(x+a)(x+1991)+1=(x+b)(x+c)$$
    Substitute ##x=-b##, you should be able to take it from here.

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3
    I don't know how that would work. It's alright I got the answer. As both a and x are integers

(x + a)(x+1991) = -1

Thus (x + a) = 1 or -1

(x+1991) = -1 or 1

So we get two integral values for a. I would also like to know how to do it your way.

5. Jul 22, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you are misunderstanding the question. Isn't it obvious that there will be an infinite number of such a?

Your "(1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)" is simply the condition that the roots be real numbers.

6. Jul 22, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

There are indeed only two integer values of [itex]a[/itex] which ensure that [itex]x[/itex] is an integer, but the OP's argument in post #3 doesn't actually prove that.

Instead the condition the OP needs is that [itex](1991 + a)^2 - 4(1991 a + 1)[/itex] must be the square of an integer.

7. Jul 22, 2014 #6
    There can only be two integers whose multiplication can result in -1. That is 1 and -1.

In my previous post I substitute 1 and minus -1 alternatively for the two integer values (x+a) and (x+1991) which are integer values themselves, thus proving it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted