Find Integrals of Motion for Particle in Magnetic Dipole Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Mumba
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Find the fi rst integrals of motion for a particle of mass m and charge q in a magnetic field given by the vector potential (scalar potential [tex]\Phi[/tex]= 0)

(i) of a constant magnetic dipole [tex]m_{d}[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{\mu_{0}}{4 pi}\frac{m_{d} \times r}{r^{3}}[/tex]

Hint: Cylindrical coordinates are useful.


I think what i should do is to compute A for cylindrical coordinate system and then use Lagrangian mechanics to get a equation of motion? Is this correct? (we have the charge q given, so we can use the kinetic engergy?)

I tried to compute A but i don't really understand what to do with the magnetic dipole (as a vector)? Whats the story whith that scalar potential?

Thanks for your help,
Mumba
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mumba said:
I think what i should do is to compute A for cylindrical coordinate system and then use Lagrangian mechanics to get a equation of motion? Is this correct? (we have the charge q given, so we can use the kinetic engergy?)
That would probably be my first thought as well. But I wouldn't write A in cylindrical coordinates just yet. Try to go as far as you can without expressing it in any particular coordinate system.
Mumba said:
I tried to compute A but i don't really understand what to do with the magnetic dipole (as a vector)? Whats the story whith that scalar potential?
[itex]\vec{m}_d[/itex] is just a given vector. You don't really do anything with it, except carry it through the calculation. And I think they just tell you that the scalar potential is zero to clarify the conditions of the problem... I can't imagine why you would think that the scalar potential would be nonzero, unless you were specifically told so.
 
Hi Thanks for the answer.

But i can't go very far without a coordinate system, can I?
I mean, using cyl. coordinates, my degrees of freedom would be just R and [tex]\Theta[/tex].

So i can get the components of r=(Rcos[tex]\Theta[/tex], Rsin[tex]\Theta[/tex], z), where the z-axis is pointing upwards and [tex]\Theta[/tex] the angle between the x-axis (pointing towards you) and R.

What can i do with [tex]m_{d}[/tex]? Should be a vector so i can't really just set it on the origin?! Can i give it an arbitrary direction, say [tex]m_{d}=(m_{d},0,0)[/tex]?

Thanks,
Mumba