1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Intersection of 3x2 Matrices Using QR Factorization

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Figured it out.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    By any chance did you do following:

Do the full QR factorization of the two matrices. Using the third column from each 'Q' matrix, build a new matrix, call it Q'. It is composed of the normals to the planes described by the original two matrices. Do a full QR of Q'. The new QR has a third column of Q that is orthogonal to both of those normal vectors. So it is therefore in the intersection.

Is this correct? or did I make a bad assumption?

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    It seems that we are all in CSE 6643, which also seems all good according to the syllabus and working together. So, qiaoshiya, this seems like a very reasonable assumption. From your thoughts, and talking with Prof Alben, I went back through Chapter 7. On page 50 the text states "Notice that in the full QR factorization, the columns of q_j for j>n are orthogonal to range(A)." That means that the third column of Q should basically be equivalent to cross(x1, y1), which is one way of identifying a plane (use the plane's normal vector). With this, then using the 2 third columns of the Qs, then the third QR factorization would result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the first two plane identifying vectors. That is exactly what we're are looking for.

When I first saw this problem I went through (mostly) the exercise of finding the the final vector, since I knew how to do that. Now reading that line from page 50, the two processes seem to be identical.

Other thoughts from anyone?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook