Find the inverse of a 3×3 matrix with trigonometric entries

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Reshma
Messages
749
Reaction score
6
Find the inverse of A given by:
[tex]A = \left[\begin{array}{ccc}\cos \phi & -\cos \theta \sin \phi & \sin \theta \sin \phi \\\sin \phi & \cos \theta \cos \phi & -\sin \theta \cos \phi \\0 & \sin \theta & \cos \theta\end{array}\right][/tex]

I have never encountered a problem in Matrices involving long trigonometric functions. How do I find the inverse? Should I use the same row-reduction method for this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use whatever method you prefer (I like the transposed cofactor matrix method, personally). Once you specify [itex]\theta, \ \phi[/itex], they're just numbers (you should, of course, check to make sure that there are no values of these that stop the matrix from being invertible!).
 
Last edited: