1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find lim (x^2n - 1)/(x^2n + 1) x->infinity->

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    find lim (x^2n - 1)/(x^2n + 1)
    x->infinity
    -> means tends to

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2
    Re: Limits

Have you tried substituting x=1/h so as x->infinity, h->zero.
    Using this I got the answer as 1

4. Jun 27, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is just (B - 1)/(B + 1) for some B that gets really big (goes to infinity with x). For all problems of this form you can just divide out the B and you'll see that the little stuff like +1 and -1 drop out.

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

Off the top of my head, my best guess is ...

For real numbers, the limit is equal to 1 if x > 1, -1/2 if x = 1, -1 if 0<=x<1, and is undefined if x<0.

For complex numbers with non-zero imaginary part, the limit is equal to -1 if |x| < 1 and is undefined if |x| >= 1.

6. Jun 28, 2008 #5

what will happen if n-> infinity

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You asked that originally and you have already been given 4 answers.

8. Jun 28, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The original question asked for x--> infinity, not n.

As for the original question- Try adding and then subtracting 2 off the numerator.

For when n --> infinity, DJ had an attempt but needs some corrections: the limit is equal to one if |x| > 1, 0 if |x|=1, -1 if |x| < 1 and not undefined for any values. Note that we have an even function, so none of the "undefined if x<0" stuff.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  9. Jun 28, 2008 #8

Gib Z, You are absolutely correct. My answer is in the context of n --> infinity. Funny thing is that I thought I was addressing the question of when x --> infinity. A credit to your understanding to realize that my calculations assumed n --> infinity. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to say about the case when x --> infinity, and the time that I've alloted to spend on this interesting problem of yours has expired.

I think I'll probably be concentrating on the number theory board in the future. That is the area of math that interests me most these days. It is also the area I know least about.

DJ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?