Find Limit: <Undefined,Undefined,6/5>

• Thread starter Whatupdoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit as t approaches 0 for the given expression is undefined for the first two components and 6/5 for the third component. To solve for the first two components, L'Hopital's rule can be used. Alternatively, the second component can be simplified using factorization. The first component can also be solved using the basic definition of a derivative at t=0.
Whatupdoc
Find the limit:

lim, t->0 [tex] < \frac{e^{-5t} - 1}{t}, \frac{t^{13}}{t^{14}-t^{13}}, \frac{6}{5+t}>[/tex]

answer: <__,__,__>

well, what i did is just plug in zero for t which i get <0,0, 6/5> which is incorrect. am i missing something? or actually it should be <undefined,undefined, 6/5>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first term, try l'Hopital's rule. For the second term, see if you can write the expression using only [tex]t^{13}[/tex] and lower powers of t (splitting the denominator into two multiplicative terms would help a lot), and the third term of course doesn't pose a problem.

Whatupdoc said:
Find the limit:

lim, t->0 [tex] < \frac{e^{-5t} - 1}{t}, \frac{t^{13}}{t^{14}-t^{13}}, \frac{6}{5+t}>[/tex]

answer: <__,__,__>

well, what i did is just plug in zero for t which i get <0,0, 6/5> which is incorrect. am i missing something? or actually it should be <undefined,undefined, 6/5>

Well, first, as I think you understand, "plugging" in 0 does not give 0 for the first two! Neither does it give "undefined"- the limit may exist even if the value does not.

Some texts make a distinction between "a/0" when a is not 0 and "0/0". Of course, neither is a number but we often refer to "0/0" as "undetermined" rather than "undefined". "a/0" is undefined because if we try to set x= a/0 we get x*0= a which is not true for any x. If set x= 0/0, however, we get x*0= 0 which is true for all x. We still can't give a specific value for x so it is "undetermined".

This is important here because: if f(x)-> a, a nonzero number, and g(x)->0, then f(x)/g(x) must get larger and larger- there is no limit, the limit is "undefined".

If f(x)->0 and g(x)->0 also, then f(x)/g(x) may have a limit. For an obvious example, take f(x)= x and g(x)= x. As x-> 0, both of those go to 0 but their quotient is x/x= 1 (as long as x is not 0) which has limit 1 as x goes to 0.

For your example, both the first two components become "0/0" (all interesting limits do!) so you need to look more closely. You could, as Brinx suggested, use L'Hopital's rule but that is not necessary.

The second component is a little simpler than the first:
[tex] \frac{t^{13}}{t^{14}-t^{13}}[/tex]
That is one polynomial divided by another. The fact that t=0 make both of them 0 means that we can factor t out of both! In fact, t14-t13= t13(t- 1). Now, you can cancel and be left with [tex]\frac{1}{t-1}[/tex]. What is the limit of that as t goes to 0?

The first is a little subtler.
Do you know that the derivative of e-5t is -5 e-5t and so the derivative at t=0 is -5?
Do you recognize that first component as being exactly the "difference quotient" you would use in the basic definition (replacing t with "h" perhaps) to find the derivative of e-5t at t= 0?

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh, i forgot all about the L'hopital rule. thanks a lot for the long explanation, i totally get it now

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function near a particular point. It represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or point.

2. How do you find a limit?

To find a limit, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factorization, and the algebraic limit theorem. You can also use graphs and tables to help visualize the behavior of the function near the point of interest.

3. What does "Undefined" mean in a limit?

"Undefined" in a limit means that the limit does not exist. This can happen when the function has a vertical asymptote or a point of discontinuity at the point of interest.

4. How do you evaluate a limit with "Undefined"?

If a limit has "Undefined" as its value, you can use the one-sided limit approach. This involves evaluating the limit from both sides of the point of interest to determine if the limit from each side approaches the same value.

5. What does "6/5" mean in a limit?

"6/5" in a limit represents the point of interest or the value that the input is approaching. In this case, the limit is being evaluated as the input approaches 6/5.