Find linear transformation using diagonal matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the linear transformation L:R3-->R3 defined by L(x,y,z)=(y-z,x+z,-x+y). It is shown to be self-adjoint using the standard orthonormal basis B. L is also diagonalized and an orthogonal basis B of eigenvectors and the diagonal matrix are found. It is determined that L is not an isomorphism due to repeated eigenvalues. To find L(1,0,0) using the diagonal matrix, it must be written as a linear combination of the eigenvectors. After setting up the equations, the solution is found to be (0,1,-1).
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

Define L:R3-->R3 by L(x,y,z)=(y-z,x+z,-x+y).
A. Show that L is self-adjoint using the standard orthonormal basis B of R3.
B. Diagonalize L and find and orthogonal basis B of R3 of eigenvectors of L and the diagonal matrix.
C. Considering only the eigenvalues of L, determine if L is an isomorphism.
D. Find L(1,0,0) using the diagonal matrix of L.

Homework Equations

L(x,y,z)=(y-z,x+z,-x+y)

Matrix of L with respect to orthonormal basis:
0 1 -1
1 0 1
-1 1 0

Diagonal matrix of L:
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 -2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already answered A and B. For C, I said L is not an isomorphism because of repeated eigenvalues. For D, I am not sure how to find the linear transformation using only the diagonal matrix, but I know the answer is (0,1,-1).

Physics news on Phys.org
A linear transformation is an isomorphism as long as it is invertible. What does that tell you about its eigenvalues? I'm not sure how to interpret "using the diagonal matrix". You cannot do this using only the diagonal matrix (the eigenvalues), you have to use the eigenvectors as well. This matrix is diagonalizable because there exist a basis for the space consisting of eigenvectors. Write (1, 0, 0) as a linear combination of eigenvectors.

thanks for your response! I'm pretty much done with the question besides part D.)
It says to find L(1,0,0) using the matrix in B.)
I'm not really sure how to do this.. I've been looking through my textbook for hours. Any extra help would be very much appreciated!

I tried writing it as a linear combination
|1 -1 1| |a| |1|
|1 0 -1| |b| = |0|
|0 1 1| |c| |0|
and I get
|a| | .333 |
|b| = |-.333 |
|c| | .333 |

and idk I'm getting lost... someone please help

Last edited:

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that takes an input vector and produces an output vector by multiplying the input vector with a transformation matrix. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in many fields of science and engineering.

How do I find a linear transformation using a diagonal matrix?

To find a linear transformation using a diagonal matrix, you first need to have a diagonal matrix with the desired transformation coefficients. Then, you can simply multiply the input vector with the diagonal matrix to get the output vector. The diagonal matrix represents the scaling of the input vector along each of its dimensions.

What are the benefits of using a diagonal matrix for a linear transformation?

Using a diagonal matrix for a linear transformation has several benefits. Firstly, it simplifies the calculation process since the diagonal matrix only contains the scaling coefficients. Secondly, it allows for independent scaling along each dimension of the input vector. Finally, diagonal matrices are easy to work with and can be easily manipulated using basic linear algebra operations.

Can a diagonal matrix represent any type of linear transformation?

No, a diagonal matrix can only represent linear transformations that involve scaling along each dimension of the input vector. It cannot represent other types of linear transformations such as rotations or shears.

How can I determine the diagonal matrix for a given linear transformation?

To determine the diagonal matrix for a given linear transformation, you can use the transformation matrix. The diagonal elements of the transformation matrix represent the scaling coefficients for each dimension. These elements can be used to construct the diagonal matrix for the linear transformation.