Find loop radius and current via magnetic field?

In summary, the homework statement says that a single-turn wire loop produces a magnetic field of 41.2 μT at its center, and 5.15 nT on its axis, at 20.0 cm from the loop center.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A single-turn wire loop produces a magnetic field of 41.2 μT at its center, and 5.15 nT on its axis, at 20.0 cm from the loop center.

Find loop raidus and current.

Homework Equations

F = qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the above equation, but could not figure out how to use it to find a radius r. What must be done in order to get an equation with such variables? For current I believe F = IL x B should work, but I don't know if radius r is necessary.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 6.46.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 6.46.19 PM.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 827
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to use Biot-Savart to find a general expression for the B-field on the loop axis at distance z from the center, then solve a system of 2 equations and two unknowns.

kuruman said:
Sounds like you need to use Biot-Savart to find a general expression for the B-field on the loop axis at distance z from the center, then solve a system of 2 equations and two unknowns.
So I need to use the equation dB = (μ0IdL × Ir)/(4πr2) and solve for r?

jlmccart03 said:
So I need to use the equation dB = (μ0IdL × Ir)/(4πr2) and solve for r?
Yes, but you need to integrate first. Read and understand the derivation for ##B_z## here.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html
Then use this expression for the two values of ##z## that are given to you. You need to solve for both the current and the radius.

kuruman said:
Yes, but you need to integrate first. Read and understand the derivation for ##B_z## here.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/curloo.html
Then use this expression for the two values of ##z## that are given to you. You need to solve for both the current and the radius.
So what z value do I plug in? Also what would be my I? I am confused on how to use this equation. I guess a better question to ask is what does each value correspond to? I am looking at the derivation and am simply confused because this creates a trianlge as far as the diagram shows, but how does this relate to my problem?

Forget the derivation and plugging in for the moment. Read the statement of the problem carefully. This loop produces a magnetic field everywhere in space around it. Can you explain to me what you think the given numbers represent? (Fill in the blanks)
Using the coordinate axes in the hyperphysics derivation,
(a) 41.2 μT is the magnetic field at point x = ____, y = ____ , z = ____
(b) 5.15 nT is the magnetic field at point x = ____, y = ____ , z = ____
(c) 20.0 cm is the distance from point x = ____, y = ____ , z = ____ to point x = ____, y = ____ , z = ____.

1. What is the formula for finding the loop radius and current using magnetic field?

The formula is r = (magnetic field * current) / (2 * π).

2. What are the units for the magnetic field, loop radius, and current?

The magnetic field is measured in teslas (T), the loop radius is measured in meters (m), and the current is measured in amperes (A).

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the calculation of loop radius and current?

The direction of the magnetic field does not affect the calculation of loop radius and current. However, it is important to note the direction of the field when determining the direction of the current using the right-hand rule.

4. Can the formula be used for any shape of loop?

The formula is specifically for a circular loop. For other shapes, different formulas may be needed.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding the loop radius and current via magnetic field?

Yes, this formula is commonly used in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators to determine the appropriate size of the loop and the amount of current needed to produce a desired magnetic field.