Find m, the mass of the particle Assume friction can be ignored

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of a particle that is brought to rest by a constant net force of 542 N in a distance of 69.2 m. The person used the formula F=ma and calculated an acceleration of 14.886. However, this was incorrect and they were advised to use the equations v(final)^2-v(initial)^2=2*a*s and [m*v]/t=force to find the correct answer.
shenwei1988
A particle of mass m is initially moving 26.2 m/s. It is brought to rest by a constant net 542 N force in a distance of 69.2 m. Find m, the mass of the particle Assume friction can be ignored.

F=ma

the F is 542, i use V(initial)=26.2m/s and V(final)=0m/s S(distance)=69.2 to find A(acceleration). and the answer i got is a=14.886. then i use F=ma, but its wrong, anybody can help?``thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you manage to get a=14.886?? Presumably, m/s^2.

THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR DATA HELP:

Rate of change of momentum = force applied i.e. [m*v]/t=force
Calculate time using simple kinematic equations.. and then use the above equation...

physixguru said:
THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR DATA HELP:

Rate of change of momentum = force applied i.e. [m*v]/t=force
Calculate time using simple kinematic equations.. and then use the above equation...

For the constant force case, [m*v]/t=force is m*dv/dt=force. Or F=ma. I think shenwei1988 knows that.

sorry, i am very stupid. still gOt the wrong answer.
i get 69.2/26.2=2.64=t
m*v(26.2)/2.64=F
F=54.6

You want to use v(final)^2-v(initial)^2=2*a*s to find a.

question solved thanks a lot

1. What is the formula for finding the mass of a particle when friction can be ignored?

The formula for finding the mass of a particle when friction can be ignored is m = F/a, where m is the mass of the particle, F is the force acting on the particle, and a is the acceleration of the particle.

2. Why is friction ignored in this calculation?

In some scientific calculations, friction is considered a negligible factor because it is either very small or its effects can be canceled out by other forces. In these cases, ignoring friction can simplify the calculation and provide a more accurate result.

3. Is it always safe to ignore friction when finding the mass of a particle?

No, it is not always safe to ignore friction. If the particle is moving at a high speed or if friction is a significant factor in the system, then ignoring it can lead to inaccurate results. It is important to carefully consider all forces acting on the particle before deciding to ignore friction.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of particle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of particle as long as friction is negligible. It is commonly used for point particles, but can also be applied to larger objects if the effects of friction can be ignored.

5. What are some real-world applications of this calculation?

This calculation can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It can be used to determine the mass of objects in motion, such as a falling object, a projectile, or a moving vehicle. It can also be applied in designing structures, calculating the force required to move an object, or predicting the behavior of particles in a system.