1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find matrix corresponding to Linear Tranformation (Orth. Projection)

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    A linear operator L:Rn→Rn is called a projection if L^2=L. A projection L is an orthogonal projection if ker L is orthogonal to L(Rn).

I've shown that the only invertible projection is the identity map I_Rn by using function composition on the identity L2(v)=L.

Question: Now suppose that L is an orthogonal projection whose image L(Rn) has rank 1. Show there exist a unit vector v such that L is defined by the matrix vv^T. Conclude L is the orthogonal projection on S=Span(v).

I know I can write the orthogonal projection PS:Rn→S as uuT using an orthonormal basis {u} for S. And since v is a unit vector, {v} is an orthonormal basis for S, so PS=vv^T. So the only thing to show is that there exist such a vector v with the stated property ?

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...r-v-such-that-l-is-defined-by-the-matrix-v-vt

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If L has rank 1, then L(R^n) is one dimensional, so it's spanned by a single vector w. Let v=w/|w|. Isn't that a candidate for the vector you want?

4. Apr 5, 2014 #3
    Indeed it is. But how do I show that every vector in R^n is mapped equal by L and v v^T ?

I know I can write a vector h = i + j, where i lies in Span(v) and j lies in the orthogonal complement of Span(v).

Then L(h) = L(i) + L(j), but i = cv and suppose u is mapped to v: v = L(u) = L(L(u) = L(v), so v is mapped to itself.

Thus L(h) = i + L(j) - But how do I show that L(j) is mapped to 0 ? Then I have shown that every vector is mapped to its orthogonal projection on Span(v) !

Please if you know tell me, I have given this a lot of thought.

5. Apr 5, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about using the rank-nullity theorem to determine dim(ker L)?

6. Apr 5, 2014 #5
    dim(ker L) = n - 1, since dim(L(R^n)) = 1. But this doesn't show that L is given by v v^T for some vector v in L(R^n) ?

In the notation from above, how can I use this to conclude L(j) = 0 ?

Also I know ker L is a subset of the orthogonal complement to span(v) - But how do I show the opposite ?

7. Apr 5, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking that since the orthogonal complement of span(v) is (n-1)-dimensional, and ker L is an (n-1)-dimensional subspace of that, they have to be the same.

8. Apr 5, 2014 #7
    Ahh, yeah we have ker L is a subset of S := orthogonal complement of span(v) and dim(ker L) = dim(S)) implies ker L = S ?

So u in S implies L(u) = 0, so for any w in R^n we have that L(w) is mapped to the orthogonal projection of w on span(v) !

And the matrix for this transformation is indeed v v^T (using a well-known theorem)

Thanks so much !

9. Apr 5, 2014 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. The idea is that if there's a u in S that isn't a linear combination of n-1 linearly independent vectors from ker L, then S is at least n-dimensional. So if we have also proved that S is (n-1)-dimensional, we have a contradiction, and can conclude that every u in S is a linear combination of vectors in ker L. This implies that S is a subset of ker L.

The problem statement tells us that ker L is a subset of S, so now (assuming that we know that ker L is a subspace) we know that S=ker L.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted