Find mean and variance of X and Y

  • Thread starter Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Variance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
phillyolly
Messages
157
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have found the marginal distribution for X and Y from a table. (No statistical regression, just simple table)
How should I proceed in finding mean, variance an correlation coefficient of X and y? I am computing by hand.
Thank you,



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,086
Physics news on Phys.org
Is mean for X:

(1/8+3/8+3/8+1/8)
-------------------
4

and mean for Y is

(2/8+4/8+2/8)
--------------
3

?
 
No. Remember the mean of a random variable is defined as

[tex]\bar{X} = \sum_i x_i P_X(x_i)[/tex]

It's the sum of the product of the values X can take on multiplied by probability of that value.